Battery opperated hot wire?

For the amount you pay for the battery powered, you may as well havce bought a solar unit instead.

I have a Zareba solar unit (10 mile fencer) that I got on sale for $190, usually $250 but well worth it. It packs quite the punch, it almost knocked me off my feet when I hit the line in the horse pasture by accident.

The other thing you could do ( if ) you have a AC powered fence charger all ready is,
Plug your fence charger into a power inverter hook the power inverter to a 12 volt deep cycle battery then hook your 12 volt deep cycle battery to a 12 solar trickle charger... You might have around 60 to 80 bucks in the power inverter hook the power inverter, 12 volt deep cycle battery and the 12 solar trickle charger and you can use about any AC powered fence charger.

A inverter like this will work,
33115_yhst-6122897076971_2068_24028529.jpg

And a 12 solar trickle charger like this will work,
33115_0077554072001_500x500.jpg

Chris

The inverter, deep cycle battery and the fence charger would be mounted on the wall in the coop/barn and the solar trickle charger is mounted on a out side wall or post. Then you would run insulated hot wire from the charger to the hot wire on the fence and run the ground wire to the grounding rod...
I know that you don't have the convenience of setting it to a post but you can use about any fence charger you would like.
Plus with this you can run you coop lights with it (AC or DC lights)

Chris

Last edited:
FarmerRob--Thanks for the input on premier1supplies. I just placed my order with them for electric net fencing for my goats plus electric wire to run around the duck runs at night--works out great, because I only need the net fencing during the day and the duck fencing at night, so I can use one energizer. I got the plug-in one because it's $200 cheaper than the solar kit. May be slightly inconvenient, but we only have an acre, so the fencing will never be farther than an extension cord's distance from the house or garage.

The plug-in energizer, for those trying to keep their costs down, was $124, including the free shipping (and yes, some items were free to ship, others were not--on my total $265 order, my shipping total was $15.30). The shipping charge seems very reasonable to me, considering the nature of the order being pretty bulky and heavy.

Thanks again! Good to know someone has had good experiences. I hope they'll send the catalog along with my order--if it's as helpful as their website and their customer service reps, then it should be really interesting reading!

Back
Top Bottom