Bay Area BYCers!

Hi all! I'm new to BYC and thought I would introduce myself to the closest thing to a local area group I can find. I'm in the Santa Cruz area, and we can skip ahead of the "is Santa Cruz Northern or Central CA?" bit because I'm originally from SF but recently from Venice. I *am* California! :D

Although not new to owning chickens, I am new at starting with chicks. Our new house came with a resident EE, a great layer about 4 years old who we named Lorraine. A month ago I got four 2-week-old chicks: a Buff Orp (Buffy), a lovely light Brahma (Mei), and Ameraucana/EE sisters named Billie and Willow.

Unfortunately, Willow appears to be a "William" so we'll have to re-home him sooner than later, as his juvenile thirsts have kicked in this week and he's really rough on the girls without a more senior roo to keep him in line. (S)He was my daughter's favorite and from the looks of things he'll be a lovely bird, but keeping him won't be in the cards for us.

View attachment 1147896

Chicken math allows me to replace or swap him for two new pullets, right? :p

:welcome Wish I could take your cockerel but I have 7 chicks right now & I think 4 of them are boys (at least!) so I am in the same situation. I have had good luck using craigslist to rehome roosters. Good luck!

I am in Santa Clara, btw, so not too far from you. :)

Ok, that dog photo is priceless. Just sayin'! I have a nine-month-old border collie who is also well socialized with the chickens, but she is way too energetic for that kind of interaction right now.
Anyway, hellooooo, fellow chicken lovers from the Bay Area! I am in Los Gatos, but live in the "unincorporated" part known as the mountains. I have a mixed flock of nine, all from Scotts Valley Feed, as follows:
Bridgette - Barred Rock
Bagheera - Black Australorp
Margo - Brown Leghorn
Mildred aka Millie - Speckled Sussex
Buttercup - Light Brahma
Ruby - Buckeye
Cashew - Buff Orpington
Lucky - Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
Roxy - Silver Laced Wyandotte
I also recently lost Rusty - New Hampshire Red.
missed Tour de Coop this year, but really enjoyed it in 2016. I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

Hi! I'm in the Cupertino Mts. I have a mix flock of Ameriancas (3), Rhode Island Reds (2), White Leghorn (1), Buff Orpington (1), Red Sex Link (1). The Buff went all broody so I got her eggs and now I have 3 Splash Maran and 4 Wyandottes (3/4). Out of the 7, I think I have 4 cockerels. The prettiest two are the black and white Wyandottes. and then I think there might be two of the Splash Maran. Is there anyone here looking for a Splash Maran or a barnyard mutt roo? The hatch date is Sept 1 so still babies. I figured I'd try to see if anyone was looking for a Maran.

Hi all! I am looking for a home for my 5 month old Dominique Rooster. He's tame, healthy, and loves watching after his girls. He's only been fed organic and GMO free feed. I'm in Reno, NV, but will meet you half way for drop off if you are in the bay area. Thank you!
IMG_5471.JPG

Back
Top Bottom