Baytril or Cipro?

Coming in to this thread just now and not having read everything, but feel it might help to add my two cent's worth. I have had rabbits as pets for decades, and along the way, my little cotton tail, Kelsey. I've dealt with abscesses quite a bit, areas fill with thick, white chalk-like pus. No Western medicine ever budged any of it. Ever. Honestly, forget Baytril and any other meds that upset the microbial environment, thereby adding an insult to the injury.

Here is what has worked for me. I learned how to lance, drain, and treat abscesses at home. An abscess requires daily, committed care.

This is my first treatment regiment: I set out everything I would need and patiently work on the abscess. This is a daily ritual until the abscess is resolved. Start by lancing the abscess, use the cutting part of a large syringe needle, an excellent little cutting knife, if you will. A small incision can be lanced quickly and if you do it fast enough, it will barely register. Flush the abscess with betadine solution; I've used iodine as well for flushing, but it stains. Have Epsom salt in very warm water ready to go. Compress the area. Then the honey part: Manuka honey (here is what I use: https://wedderspoon.com/collections...s/raw-manuka-honey-kfactor-16-500g-17-6oz-jar). Manuka honey is anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, full of Nature's healing goodness. Prior to treatment, take a little honey and add warm water to liquify. Draw up the liquified honey after using Epsom salt compresses and flush the abscessed area. An alternative flush is to dissolve sea salt in warm water. Pat dry after honey or salt water flush. Slather honey on abscess area. I do not know exactly where the abscess is located on your chicken, but if you can wrap it, that would help, use nonstick bandages.

Second treatment, to soak off the bandage, or ready the area to access the abscess again, use Epsom salt compresses to either loosen/remove the bandage to start abscess treatment, or ready the area to lance. Try to use the same lance spot each time. A little scab will form that you can easily remove to access the abscess for daily treatment. Follow the rest of the steps from first treatment.

Subsequent treatments follow day two treatment until abscess has resolved. You will likely find a blackening crust forming on the abscess where the honey has been applied. This is the body healing. This layer will soak off with the Epsom compresses that start your daily treatments.

It sounds like a lot, labor intensive perhaps. Once you do it a few times, it becomes easier and more efficient.

I hope this is helpful.

Here's our girl today. Sorry the lighting is poop. Also, since I'm posting chicken pictures, I might as well include Limpy Jr. (my permanent indoor chicken) who is keeping her company. I call him The Little Prince, as he is quite spoiled, lol. And she's sitting tilted forward like that because her diaper is on and it feels weird, so don't worry.

IMG_9612.JPG
IMG_9623 (1).JPG
IMG_9620.JPG

@Gezellige_Poes, thank you for relating your experiences and treatment techniques. I have a feeling the abscess will need to be cleaned out repeatedly, and I will make use of your information. The only issue is she has an underlying infection that causes the abscess to keep coming back. I have to deal with that as well.

Good grief! She is just a beauty queen 💜💜💜 I have read about honey being used in the eyes, so that sounds beneficial and not something that would be worrisome to use so close to the eyes
I have some honey ointment in my chicken first aid kit I believe. I'll have to find it. I got it after reading how a lady on BYC had used it to treat a huge ripped open wound her chicken had gotten, and it healed up amazingly well.

And thank you. The pictures don't even do her justice. She has the cutest little face. It's so cute I can't even stand it :wee

I'm sorry for the confusion. I wasn't aware that Baytril had such a short period of dosage. I've never used it. Some antibiotics are often given for three weeks. Since Baytril is such a powerful med, it's not wise to push it longer than it's directed.

The Triple C is a suggestion, and it would be wise to discuss this with your vet since your hen has been seen by them.

I'm sorry for the confusion. I wasn't aware that Baytril had such a short period of dosage. I've never used it. Some antibiotics are often given for three weeks. Since Baytril is such a powerful med, it's not wise to push it longer than it's directed.

The Triple C is a suggestion, and it would be wise to discuss this with your vet since your hen has been seen by them.
I feel like since it says Directions: Not to be used for birds intended for human consumption. That it's probably banned for chickens too, and he won't be able to tell me about it, but I can ask. He's back in on Monday.

So, in the meantime I'll stop the Baytril and just keep going on supportive care? I've been giving her Metacam for pain/inflammation. Should I stop that too?

@Gezellige_Poes, thank you for relating your experiences and treatment techniques. I have a feeling the abscess will need to be cleaned out repeatedly, and I will make use of your information. The only issue is she has an underlying infection that causes the abscess to keep coming back. I have to deal with that as well.
Abscesses are incredibly challenging, as the bacteria can easily stay in the body esp. if the abscess has been present long enough. It may be that, that the infection keeps coming back because it spread from the initial abscess. I had that with one of my rabbits. I discovered an abscess on her leg and thought I was in time. Upon close examination, she had tiny abscesses all over her body, not noticeable to the eye and not felt when petting her. We fought together for a long time, but lost the battle. My Yogi, what a fabulous soul she was! You could try giving her Manuka honey orally to target the infection you cannot get to from the outside.

Metacam is prescribed most often by vets. Most of us do-it-ourselves chicken keepers don't use pain relievers other than 81 grain chewable aspirin.

Most antibiotics specify they're not for food animals. Recent laws trying to curtail overuse of antibiotics in the commercial food animal industry to prevent spread of drug resistant bacteria require this disclaimer. We get around it by adherring to an egg and meat withdrawal period following antibiotic use.

Back
Top Bottom