Baytril or Cipro?

I'm not recommending it and I wouldn't advise it but I ended up going a bit longer than the advised number of days with Baytril. The alternative was euthanasia, so I did what I felt would help. Please don't think I am suggesting this. I am just sharing my experience with a tough infection

Have you checked in with your vet recently? Your vet seems pretty awesome and I wonder if you mentioned some of the things mentioned here, what he would think. I know I've mentioned it before but since she's right at the max amount of days, I wonder if your vet is willing to tweak her sulfa Rx dosage? I apologize for being repetitive. You'll probably need to take a break with the Baytril though. I know it's advised to stop after 5 to 7 days. The dosage of the Baytril may need tweaking too.
You're not being repetitive. It's all good.

Like, you think I should ask for another sulfa Rx? Cause we finished her 10 days a while ago now, and I kinda think it almost killed her. 2 days before finishing it is when she went totally pale and stopped eating/drinking on her own. And her eyebrow abscess filled back up anyway, even after all that.

And he won't talk about the baytril. Apparently it's super illegal here or something, because he said he'd lose his license if he gave it, and couldn't even comment on it at all.

I wonder if you could pack it with a long strip sterile gauze ( maybe 1/8 “ thick) and leave a “ tail “ out. It would need to be removed and replaced daily. Would allow to heal from inside out. Just a thought.
That could work. I guess I'd have to have a little tool to poke the new pieces back into the hole. I feel like she'd probably just pull it out though. But hey, who knows. I'll ask the vet about it next time I have him drain it.

You're not being repetitive. It's all good.

Like, you think I should ask for another sulfa Rx? Cause we finished her 10 days a while ago now, and I kinda think it almost killed her. 2 days before finishing it is when she went totally pale and stopped eating/drinking on her own. And her eyebrow abscess filled back up anyway, even after all that.

And he won't talk about the baytril. Apparently it's super illegal here or something, because he said he'd lose his license if he gave it, and couldn't even comment on it at all.
No, if that's what made her worse, I definitely wouldn't do another round. I thought she was improving on the sulfa Rx. My apologies. I do think that there are times when the general dosage doesn't work and you might need a little more, but still within the recommended range. You don't want to overdose her, but I'd look into the dose range of Baytril for her size and what you're treating for.

I'd probably reach out to your vet about draining too. Obviously you don't want to risk such a wonderful vet in any way, but mentioning everything that's been suggested, like a drain, etc.

No, if that's what made her worse, I definitely wouldn't do another round. I thought she was improving on the sulfa Rx. My apologies. I do think that there are times when the general dosage doesn't work and you might need a little more, but still within the recommended range. You don't want to overdose her, but I'd look into the dose range for her size and what you're treating for.
Well, she was improving at first, to be fair. Her eyebrow shrunk down to almost normal again/wasn't red or hot or anything, but yeah, I think it took a lot out of her, because she almost didn't make it through. I'll post a new pic of her now so you guys can see how we're coming along.

And as far as the baytril dosage, I've been following what azygous said and doing 0.068mL/lb, so it's been 0.153 mL twice a day. I'll gladly increase it if that would help. I certainly wouldn't mind some advice on it. I wish the vet was allowed to talk, but oh well. I'm so thankful for BYC. What doesage of Baytril did you use when you were doing it?

I'd probably reach out to your vet about draining too. Obviously you don't want to risk such a wonderful vet in any way, but mentioning everything that's been suggested, like a drain, etc.
Yeah, it's gonna have to be drained again for sure, and I'll definitely ask him about putting a drain in there. He has remarked several times how fast she heals, and he can't hardly even find the scar to open it back up again. It's become more noticeable now after three cuts though :p

Baytril is a powerful antibiotic. It's not approved for poultry because it can cause antibiotic resistance when used in food animals that can possibly spread drug resistant bacteria in the human population.

Since she's already been on it for the maximum recommended time, you need to stop it.

I have a two-year old hen with a stubborn reproductive infection and she's had three different ones with no improvement. This happens. I keep trying different ones until hopefully something works. I just ordered this one from Jedd's. https://jedds.com/products/triple-c-vetafarm?_pos=1&_sid=03cd6a793&_ss=r It's a combo of three meds for stubborn infections.

You would need to break open the 100mg capsules and divide the contents into four 25mg doses, and give two 25mg doses per day.

@azygous is amazing and a literal life saver! It's always best to try to general dosage because you don't want to over medicate and risk more problems. I'm completely confident in her guidance and have learned so much from her, including about dose ranges. Whenever I used Baytril, I was treating a large duck (she was just over 7lbs at the time of taking her to see an Avian vet) and she ended up getting 0.58 mL twice a day, if I'm not mistaken. That was back in 2020, so I might be off a tiny bit. She initially took 0.33mL twice a day and was showing improvement but it just wasn't quite wiped out. She was being treated for an infection that had made its way into her bone, so that's a huge difference between my big beautiful duck and your gorgeous little pullet 💜

Edited: I would try what Azygous has recommended above.

Baytril is a powerful antibiotic. It's not approved for poultry because it can cause antibiotic resistance when used in food animals that can possibly spread drug resistant bacteria in the human population.

Since she's already been on it for the maximum recommended time, you need to stop it.

I have a two-year old hen with a stubborn reproductive infection and she's had three different ones with no improvement. This happens. I keep trying different ones until hopefully something works. I just ordered this one from Jedd's. https://jedds.com/products/triple-c-vetafarm?_pos=1&_sid=03cd6a793&_ss=r It's a combo of three meds for stubborn infections.

You would need to break open the 100mg capsules and divide the contents into four 25mg doses, and give two 25mg doses per day.
I'm sorry, I'm confused now.

Cause in a post like half an hour ago you said:
You need to give the Baytril time. Tough infections can require weeks to treat.

I was imagining you meant I needed to do the Baytril for a couple of weeks. But now it sounds like that's not the case and you think I should try the Triple - C instead? Sorry, I'll do whatever you think. Just let me know.

Back
Top Bottom