Baytril or Cipro?

Pics
If the vet drains it again possibly he could put a small rubber drain to keep the wound open.It may require one stitch to hold it in place but maybe not if the wound is deep.
I was thinking about this myself actually, lol. I was trying to imagine what he could use that would be small enough. I started thinking about those disposable red coffee straws, and then I was like, where would I even get one of those since all the lobby lounges are closed for covid. Hopefully the vet has tiny rubber tubes.
Is there any news on how your girl is doing? I’ve been thinking about you.
She's hanging in there. She's still eating feed on her own, but only drinks if I hold the bottle directly in front of her. I think the Baytril is working. Her eyebrow isn't hot or red anymore. It's still swollen, but it hasn't been drained yet, so that's understandable. She still had some eye bubbles yesterday, but I haven't seen any so far today. She's walking around a bit and definitely vocalizing more. I'm so glad to hear her little voice again. So pretty. It's kind of like a dove cooing, but more high pitched. :love

And I will reply to everyone. Really tired right now, but I wanted to give an update at least.

I was thinking about this myself actually, lol. I was trying to imagine what he could use that would be small enough. I started thinking about those disposable red coffee straws, and then I was like, where would I even get one of those since all the lobby lounges are closed for covid. Hopefully the vet has tiny rubber tubes.

She's hanging in there. She's still eating feed on her own, but only drinks if I hold the bottle directly in front of her. I think the Baytril is working. Her eyebrow isn't hot or red anymore. It's still swollen, but it hasn't been drained yet, so that's understandable. She still had some eye bubbles yesterday, but I haven't seen any so far today. She's walking around a bit and definitely vocalizing more. I'm so glad to hear her little voice again. So pretty. It's kind of like a dove cooing, but more high pitched. :love

And I will reply to everyone. Really tired right now, but I wanted to give an update at least.
I wonder if you could pack it with a long strip sterile gauze ( maybe 1/8 “ thick) and leave a “ tail “ out. It would need to be removed and replaced daily. Would allow to heal from inside out. Just a thought.

How are you doing? Any progress on your girls recovery ? You have been trying so hard I keep hoping for good news.
Hi. I keep wanting to post but I'm not really sure what to say. She's still with us for sure. She seems more energetic, and I think her color is improving more, but she still has a clogged up nose/occasional eye bubbles, and her eyebrow is of course still swollen. I'm kinda scared, cause I feel like the sinuses should be clear by now if the Baytril is gonna work (she's had 6 days worth so far). I'm wondering at what point I need to get the abscess drained again. I'm just really scared. My kingdom to hear her breathing clearly again. I wish I had just been able to do the Baytril from the outset. Probably bred super bugs using all these other antibiotics first. :p

You need to give the Baytril time. Tough infections can require weeks to treat. A couple of herbal remedies you might add to her treatment are mullein leaf capsules to thin the mucous (it works, I've tried it on myself) and tumeric for inflammation. One is a leafy weed and the other is a common spice. Non-toxic and shouldn't interfere with the antibiotic. You likely have the tumeric on your spice shelf and the mullein can be ordered on Amazon.

Have you checked in with your vet recently? Your vet seems pretty awesome and I wonder if you mentioned some of the things mentioned here, what he would think. I know I've mentioned it before but since she's right at the max amount of days, I wonder if your vet is willing to tweak her sulfa Rx dosage? I apologize for being repetitive. You'll probably need to take a break with the Baytril though. I know it's advised to stop after 5 to 7 days. The dosage of the Baytril may need tweaking too.

Have you checked in with your vet recently? Your vet seems pretty awesome and I wonder if you mentioned some of the things mentioned here, what he would think. I know I've mentioned it before but since she's right at the max amount of days, I wonder if your vet is willing to tweak her sulfa Rx dosage? I apologize for being repetitive. You'll probably need to take a break with the Baytril though. I know it's advised to stop after 5 to 7 days. The dosage of the Baytril may need tweaking too.
Agreed.

You need to give the Baytril time. Tough infections can require weeks to treat. A couple of herbal remedies you might add to her treatment are mullein leaf capsules to thin the mucous (it works, I've tried it on myself) and tumeric for inflammation. One is a leafy weed and the other is a common spice. Non-toxic and shouldn't interfere with the antibiotic. You likely have the tumeric on your spice shelf and the mullein can be ordered on Amazon.
I'm really glad to hear that it can take weeks. I was hearing the normal course is 3-5 days, so since it had already been past that range I was worried. I can definitely add the turmeric (used to add that to the feed for Limpy Jr. when he was a baby and had his swollen turned joints). I can look into the mullein.

Back
Top Bottom