Baytril or Cipro?

Pics
The tumor was slow growing and appeared to be benign, never metastasizing. But it was growing. I knew someday it would affect her. Removing a tumor in a fragile location such as the eye region was not advisable even by an avian vet. It did cause that eye to go blind a few years ago, but she adjusted well. It's now causing neurological issues but it wasn't until a month ago. She's had a long, healthy, comfortable life as head chicken of the flock until recently.
I'm glad she has managed to live such an amazing life despite the tumor/blindness. Animals are very adaptable and seem to overcome hardship with real grace.

How's the old girl doing today?

Since the sulfa drugs (oral) nearly got rid of the abscess (after having the pus removed), doesn't that mean it's an aerobic infection? So more oral antibiotics (Baytril) might still work?
It is quite possible that the Baytril will work. It is a very effective drug. Right now I think that is your best pathway.

I could have him do an xray, but there are only certain things that would show up (like metal). If it's just a tiny splinter of wood it's not going to show up. I'm not against doing it just to check, but I'm trying to be smart about the money at this point. I'm over $800 in so far, and I don't have a job right now, so it's pretty hard.

As far as drainage goes, she heals super quickly, so unless I literally soak off the scab and pull the opening back apart she heals it closed in like 2 days.
If the vet drains it again possibly he could put a small rubber drain to keep the wound open.It may require one stitch to hold it in place but maybe not if the wound is deep.

I've got 20 kids. Four boys, 16 girls. 🐓🐓🐓🐓🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔
I've been in therapy for years already. There's nothing anyone can say that can change what happened. And I mean, I hate him, but I still love him, so that's the real problem. I can't deal with being so conflicted over it. I still wish he'd just say he's sorry, none of the little things matter in the grand scheme of things, he loves me more than all of that, and just come back home. I have nightmares about it every night, and I left him 3.5 years ago already.
And I don't do FB, but we can certainly be friends on here. :)
Not even messenger. I learned a long time ago, time can either heal a broken heart, or time can break an already broken heart. Sometimes we just have to learn to live with our reality no matter how hard that is. It took me 5 years and I still have my days. I always will, but I have a life to live regardless. If they come back into my life they do, if they don't I can't control that. It kills me but that's the way it is.

Because those two could be effective where the others have fallen short. And if I do nothing she's going to die, so I have nothing to lose. I don't eat her eggs, and she's not a meat bird. If your child was dying and you knew of a treatment that might save them, but the government said you couldn't use it for reasons that don't even apply to your situation, wouldn't you do it anyway? She's my baby. I'm not giving up when there could be a cure.
My vet still prescribes it call these people All Bird. Products 888-588-3892
website allbirdproducts.com

I have scene posts of others using these products on their chickens and this is where they have got them from precisely how I found this site .

Since the sulfa drugs (oral) nearly got rid of the abscess (after having the pus removed), doesn't that mean it's an aerobic infection? So more oral antibiotics (Baytril) might still work?
Did she finish the entire Rx of the sulfa drug? I can't remember what happened with that. After the sulfa drug Rx and surgery, was she doing well until the abscess returned? I'm just wondering if the dosage of the sulfa drug was tweaked, maybe that could help. Of course I'm not talking about overdosing her, but with my duck, Baytril seemed to be able to get on top of her infection and knock it back enough to see but wasn't quite enough to wipe it out completely. That told me that I was going in the right direction but something needed tweaking. I looked into dosage recommendations and found that I could safely double what she getting. That was the maximum recommended dosage so I decided to try her at just under the maximum dosage, which was still a lot more than she'd been on before. That made the difference. It's something to think about, especially since you can't use Baytril very many days. I am so thrilled to see Ildi starting to improve. I didn't think it was possible for her to be more beautiful but goodness she's so gorgeous with that pink comb 💜

As for the Baytril, it's strongly advised that vet's not prescribe it in food producing birds because of the risk of antibiotic resistance in humans. I think I tossed Honey Boo Boo's eggs for a couple of months after she finished taking it. If Ildi starts laying within the next couple of months, I'd probably toss her eggs for a couple of months after her last dose of Baytril, but that's just me. I have a 10 year old daughter that likes duck eggs and try to be extra cautious. You're doing a wonderful job with your gorgeous girl 💕

Back
Top Bottom