BBS Inheritance

Kittykaty

Chirping
Jul 14, 2023
Hi!
I've some BBS chicks in my coop. I've looked up the info on the BBS inheritance and it makes sense. My question is: Does the sex matter?
Example: Black x Splash = 100% Blue.
Does it matter if the roo is splash or does he have to be black in this case to achieve this result?

What would be the outcome of a Marans x Copper Marans cross? Will the chicks inherit the Copper Marans color?

I haven't actually seen any breakdown on Marans genetics and haven't crossed any myself so I'm making some assumptions here. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can correct me if I'm getting something wrong. But generally speaking:

While humans males have XY and females have XX sex chromosomes, poultry has ZZ on male and ZW on the female. The silver/gold gene is on the Z sex chromosome. If the offspring inherits Z from their mother the are male and if W they are female.

So only the males inherit the silver/gold gene from both of their parents and the female from only their mother. And as the females have only one copy of the gene, they are always either one while the males can be mixed. Silver inhibits gold so it's dominant but the mixed colour isn't as pristine as homozygous silver.

So basically if you cross a Copper Maran cock and a Silver Marans hen, you'll get heterozygous silver male (yellowish silver) and copper female offspring. If you cross a a Silver Maran cock and a Copper Maran hen, you'll get mixed male and silver female offspring. But there can be yellow leakage on both the male and the female. And if there are any genes that modify the gold in Copper Marans they might not exist in the Silver Marans.

BBS inherits independently so you could technically cross BBS Silver to Black Copper and get BBS Copper offspring with selection. However there already exists some BBS Copper Marans of that's what you're after.

Back
Top Bottom