bc marans wade jeanne bloodline

abelseville

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Loudoun County, VA
Ive seen a couple of places on the web mentioning the "wade jeanne" bloodline when touting their black copper marans. I can't find any more info on this here at byc or by google search. Anyone know about this?

Quote:
I will start. I know less than many, but here is my personal take on it.

Wade Jeane has a line of birds that produces some very dark eggs. His birds also adhere to the french standard which includes feathered shanks. His c1 line is said to be from imported stock. There are some folks with this line that are keeping it pure, but many have mixed it with US stock. Look at the French Marans site and you will see he is a boardmember (the direct title I forget) for the US. I have seen his name associated with the American Marans Club. I have some of his babies (not directly from him, and they look great but will not know about conformation until later.

Another breeder of significant prominence is Beverly Davis. She has spent years focusing on Marans and has worked hard on both confirmation and egg color. She is an ambassador for the breed and is currently working hard to get Marans approved by the APA. I have had many people tell me that her birds are better than Jeane's in terms of conformation, but may not as consistently lay dark eggs. Bev began a yahoo group called Marans Chicken Club, which you can join if you go to yahoo groups. There is lots of info there. I have birds from Bev's line, but not directly from her.

It seems to me that finding Copper Black Marans that are superior in both conformation and consistent dark egg color is the holy grail and what many reputable breeders are working towards.

I am keeping them separate and am very curious how they will develop. They are too young yet to truly inform me. I will have a better idea this summer.

You will find some folks are divisive and negative about one breeder or line or another. I ignore that politics and just judge for myself. I don't find it helpful at all and think ultimately the proof is in the pudding.

Good luck.

edited since I had a typo
hmm.png

Last edited:
These are from birds that were supposedly recently imported from France, so some people like to tout them as "True French Black Copper Marans".

The funny thing about that is -- most of the French birds are actually descended from BRITISH birds, because most of the French birds were wiped out in WWII. The French had to reimport them from the UK in order to restart the breed!
wink.png

Don't believe everything you read from people who breed Marans. Look closely at the birds and the eggs themselves, and try to ignore all the hoopla about where they supposedly came from.

Quote:
It's also spelled "it's", not "its". It's in the dictionary, you can look it up.
wink.png

If you're going to correct someone else's spelling, at least get your own right!
roll.png

Quote:
Great points. It would say it is also to really do your homework as there are breeders who are more committed to improving the line. These are the birds you want, as opposed to more mass produced birds. Like anything starting with good lines will yield better offspring. Look at pictures on the internet and read as much as possible, and the differences will become apparent.

Quote:
And you think that's somehow more acceptable than using one extra letter in one word??
roll.png

Come on. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, and all that.....

I have another thought on this. Just because someone has a bloodline from a particular breeder, does not automatically make the stock/eggs you buy from them exactly what the original breeder had. Everyone puts their own stamp on a line. Indiscriminate breeding for mass production will quickly undue years of careful breeding. So just because someone has jeane or davis lines, does not automatically make their stock good stock. Jeane and Davis, Presley or Channing, they all have years of breeding. Getting stock from such established breeders sometimes entails long waiting lists. Newer breeders allow folks to obtain stock more quickly. So just something to think about....

This is why research is so important. Ask alot of questions from a potential breeder. That will also help inform you.

Edited for clarification

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom