BDutch

natural
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
May 19, 2015
the Netherlands
My Coop
My Coop
This year I like to add a few chicks to my flock again. I have 6 bantams and there are a few good mothers amongst them.

First step: I bought some fake eggs a couple of weeks ago. Planned what would be a nice time for baby chicks and decided that the first week of May would be perfect. This is after we return home from a long weekend in France.

Step 2:
Last Sunday I put 5 fake eggs in one of the nestboxes (1) and rebuild a separate third nestbox on another spot. This way the chickens can lay eggs without disturbing the broody. I put one fake egg in the other 2 nestboxes.

Pearl was behaving like a broody the next day. The other nestbox was now favourite to lay eggs (2) and Janice became broody in the second nestbox the next day.

D4DB0946-1D93-43B9-8479-241D70202B34.jpeg
So Janice and Pearl are both broody for a couple of days now. Really stuck to the nest. They seem to do great. Are very tranquil and growl to any chicken or human that is trespassing.
The other hens use the third nestbox now to lay. And they don’t disturb Janice and Pearl.

Yesterday I bought 11 hatching eggs. 6 normal size bantams (20 days to hatch) and 5 tiny Dutch (often need only 19 days to hatch). I put 3 bantam Sussex red porcelain and tree fake Dutch eggs under Pearl. Janice has 3 bantam Vorwerk and 2 fake Dutch eggs. Tomorrow I will change the fake Dutch for real ones.

Thumbs up that the broodies do well and the outcome will be good this time. But also happy if I get two pullets. This time I try to keep it open (again). But if necessary (fuss), I can divide the coop.

Let’s see how things work out this time.
Don’t hesitate to ask questions. And maybe I will have some questions too in the near future. So whoever likes natural breeding and has some experience is welcome to follow.

Last edited:
Hi all, @Shadrach, @Ladies-Eight and @ManueB too,

Today (day 1) I changed the small chalk eggs for the Dutch hatching eggs. Janice stayed on the nest. In Pearls nest I found an unmarked egg from Katrientje. Pearl was disturbed too much and took a walk, a bite and returned 15-20 minutes later.

Later this day I found that the two hens traded places and Black was in the nest together with Pearl. Black was sitting on one Vorwerk hatching egg. I got her off , and pushed the lonely egg softly under Pearl. Black didn’t return in the nest. Beside that I didn’t see any fuss. Both hens returned to peaceful oblivion again.

Because some hens lay in the new nestbox, and some don’t, I have to check the broodies nests every day.
D40452E1-9D73-47E9-9F42-8AA3A5159E7F.jpeg

Three hens free ranging.
Kraai, Ini mini and Black.

Last edited:
0574B805-CA7F-41F7-87BF-3D4354F6A639.jpeg
Little news on the broodies.
They switched places again today. But they were calm until I checked for extra eggs. The hatching eggs are still in place and warm. One of my Dutch laid an extra egg in one nest. Took the new egg away.
When I left Kraai paid a visite. Looked only curious and did no attempt to sit in the nest as long as I was around.
BAB7358E-4AC1-476F-8D5B-3CC9EF32C08A.jpeg

The other 4.

View attachment 3470942Little news on the broodies.
They switched places again today. But they were calm until I checked for extra eggs. The hatching eggs are still in place and warm. One of my Dutch laid an extra egg in one nest. Took the new egg away.
When I left Kraai paid a visite. Looked only curious and did no attempt to sit in the nest as long as I was around.
View attachment 3470943
The other 4.
They are so 🥰.
Apart from the white ears, broody Black really looks like broody Merle, but she seems much calmer!

Back
Top Bottom