BDutch's bantam flock & natural breeding projects #5 🪺 🪺 and #6

Pics
yikes, I just found a few large and a number of small blood lice in the control roll for lice detection. In the nest where the chicks sleep.

So today a big cleaning action. 🪣
And after that a big layer of sand with diatomaceous earth and just a little layer of shavings on top in the nestboxes. DE paint everywere were the chickens can touch the walls.

It is a porcelain colouring, lacking the white. The link goes to the page of porcelain Dutch on a site for standards (breeds and colouring). http://www.kippenencyclopedie.nl/php/index.php?title=Bestand:Hollandsekriel_Porselein_hen.jpg
Good luck with the cleaning!
What is a lice detection control roll? Sounds useful.

Good luck with the cleaning!
What is a lice detection control roll? Sounds useful.
Thanks.
You can buy lice detection cilinders with cartons for red mite in the shops here.
https://www.allestegenbloedluis.nl/...MI1qbH-LPK_wIVjOZ3Ch02pgo9EAQYAiABEgIAOfD_BwE
google translated the text for you:
With these control tubes you can easily check whether you have an infestation in your home.

You can keep an eye on the presence of red mite by hanging the control tubes under the perches (by means of tie-wraps, for example). The lice are hidden in holes and cracks every day, so also in these tubes. This way you do not have to check the pen and your animals in the dark, but you can carry out this check daily.

We recommend that you always hang up tubes, even if you are not infected. By checking a toe of the tubes, you can detect an infestation very early and your chance of success in control is greatly increased.

To use
In the loft

Package contents
5 tubes and 15 cartons

I make them myself. With the packinging of biscuits that easily break.
I make a roll of pieces white corrugated cardboard from cookie packaging.
I cut the paper about 2 “ wide, 4 “ long, roll it and put an elastic band around them. I can roll it out and use it again and again.
This was a tip on the Dutch chickenforum.

Last edited:
Thanks.
You can buy lice detection cilinders with cartons for red mite in the shops here.
https://www.allestegenbloedluis.nl/...MI1qbH-LPK_wIVjOZ3Ch02pgo9EAQYAiABEgIAOfD_BwE

google translated the text for you:
With these control tubes you can easily check whether you have an infestation in your home.

You can keep an eye on the presence of red mite by hanging the control tubes under the perches (by means of tie-wraps, for example). The lice are hidden in holes and cracks every day, so also in these tubes. This way you do not have to check the pen and your animals in the dark, but you can carry out this check daily.

We recommend that you always hang up tubes, even if you are not infected. By checking a toe of the tubes, you can detect an infestation very early and your chance of success in control is greatly increased.

To use
In the loft

Package contents
5 tubes and 15 cartons

I make them myself. With the packinging of biscuits that easily break.
I make a roll of pieces white corrugated cardboard from cookie packaging.
I cut the paper about 2 “ wide, 4 “ long, roll it and put an elastic band around them. I can roll it out and use it again and again.
This was a tip on the Dutch chickenforum.
Oooh - this sounds very interesting.
When you get a spare minute I would be grateful if you could post some photos of your home made ones so I can understand how to make them for myself.
Thank you!

Oooh - this sounds very interesting.
When you get a spare minute I would be grateful if you could post some photos of your home made ones so I can understand how to make them for myself.
Thank you!

:wee I found an old photo.
IMG_1855.png

I threw away the one with the red mite. And only have one left now with a hole in it. I need to buy new biscuits with corrugated cardboard to make a few more.

:wee I found an old photo.
View attachment 3545449
I threw away the one with the red mite. And only have one left now with a hole in it. I need to buy new biscuits with corrugated cardboard to make a few more.
So nothing inside - just the rolled up corrugated cardboard roll?
I guess the mites like it as a house.
Very cool. I am going to give it a god. And of course I will have to go buy biscuits!

So nothing inside - just the rolled up corrugated cardboard roll?
I guess the mites like it as a house.
Very cool. I am going to give it a god. And of course I will have to go buy biscuits!
Yes, these rolls are very easy to make. Attaching them to the roost is more complicated. You can use 2 tie wraps (has to be exactly right so you can remove and put the roll back in. Or 2 pieces of cord/lace.

Back
Top Bottom