BDutch's bantam flock & natural breeding projects #5 🪺 🪺 and #6

So is Pearl now acting as Mum ?
Welcome, Tintin 🥰 !
Yes! She is a very good momma! Katrientje was pleased with it too today. She took a long dustbath while Tintin and Pearl were in the nestbox.

This hatch is so different from the last one. After the previous hatches the mama’s were fanatically searching for bugs in sand. And the chicks were downstairs pretty much of the time. But now the chick stays in the nestbox and in the ‘diner’ almost the whole time. I haven’t seen the chick in the sand at all. Only on the board / plank.

Maybe because its so cold they prefer to stay out of the wind and don’t mind to eat the chick feed.

Glad that its getting warmer and mess wet upcoming weekend.

IMG_4219.jpeg

Pearl tried all day to get to the nestboxes (she managed 2x) and disturbed the broodies. After that I blocked the entrance properly to give the 2 broodies a little peace.

I took another look half an hour ago, to see if there was a second chick pipping. Kraai got angry when she saw the chick. She didnt just give the chick a peck but grabbed her with her beak to hurt her. The poor chick.

I took Kraai out and put her on the roost with the other hens. Her mothers days are over. 😢
Peggy once killed a hatchling. I can't trust her with chicks and when another hatch is attempted, she won't be allowed near the broody, eggs or chicks.

IMG_2022-09-09-16-12-19-094.jpg

Ive been searching for info for a new prefab and chicken door because my selfmade extension isn’t good anymore.

I came accros this article I’d like to share about automatic chicken doors.
Belgian people/resellers from this website https://www.kippen.be/beste-automatische-kippenhok-deuren/ ,
tested several popular and well-known brands of chicken coop doors to compile our list of the best automatic chicken coop doors. With dozens of brands and models on the market, making a choice can be quite overwhelming, but we are happy to help you with your decision! All of the automatic chicken coop doors on our list vary in style and design, but they are all high-quality chicken coop doors. All doors have been tested for a longer period of time in different weather conditions and practical situations.

I posted it here for anyone who interested and for myself to look it up if I really need this info. The article /reviews seems honest, but Im not sure because they earn money if you buy one starting the buying proces on the website (affiliate).

Back
Top Bottom