BDutch's bantam flock & natural breeding projects #5 🪺 🪺 and #6

Pics
Yesterday’s report
My chicks are doing great.

A few are already going to the big run this afternoon.

First the hens tried to call the chicks, but the 'sill' under the chicken hatch was much too high for them.

After I've made a step of some stones some chicks succeeded.

IMG_1548.thumb.jpeg.d3450bd25f220e2b56b2fc6fe692bcdc.jpeg

IMG_1543.thumb.jpeg.ec4872d5fa0f02ee73e1887c82631107.jpeg

IMG_1546.thumb.jpeg.f59e689db8735f9995c08a8df48222bd.jpeg
Later in the evening all mama’s and chicks were in the large run. I gave a little fine scratch a mix of bird seeds and a left over of organic fine scratch .
The other 3 hens got the normal scratch in the back run. But before everything was finished I opened up the gate between the two runs. The broodies , especially Janice was very aggressive towards the thiefs. Protecting the chicks and the food is a good thing, but I didn’t like the harshness of her behaviour.

Last edited:
Today the chicks were in the biggest run most of the day. At 16 pm they suddenly returned to the coop/covered run when I was watching chick-tv. Junior and I were surprised how quick they all (but 1) went through the pop door. Junior started to search and for the pop door. He followed a minute or 2 later.

Now they have after dinner time and doing a national song contest between the 9 chicks. I think Junior wil win to partipate in the Eurovision chick contest later this year. Junior is still a bit slower as the other chicks and he practiced most of all.
IMG_1588.jpeg

In front :
Junior the red Sussex on the left . Right are the other red Sussex and one of the Dutch. Black, Pearl and Janice are a good mama- team.

IMG_1590.jpeg

One of the Vorwerk chicks. Their wings show after one week.

On Sunday the mama’s and chicks were all out and about in the large run. Some chicks even went to the second run through the open gate.

I closed it to let the 3 laying hens free range. The three layers were confined to the garden, second run, with food, water and a nest box they don’t like. Ini mini was grumping, trying to get in the house and acting nervous. When I locked the three hens in , and opened the gate between the teo runs, ahe was happy again. An hour later I found two eggs in the nest box they couldn’t access part of the day.

IMG_1615.jpeg

Ini mini

IMG_1631.jpeg

6 pm the chicks were all tucked in.

Today I was working all day. When I returned home the chicks were tucked in like in the photo above. The wet chick pellets (mash) was finished completely. I filled two small bowls (upstairs). to fill any empty crops if needed and one bowl downstairs for tomorrow early morning too.

One chick got curious and came out of bed. Walked down to see what was going on downstairs, but went back up again after a few moments. (No mealworms or scratch 🤣)

On Sunday the mama’s and chicks were all out and about in the large run. Some chicks even went to the second run through the open gate.

I closed it to let the 3 laying hens free range. The three layers were confined to the garden, second run, with food, water and a nest box they don’t like. Ini mini was grumping, trying to get in the house and acting nervous. When I locked the three hens in , and opened the gate between the teo runs, ahe was happy again. An hour later I found two eggs in the nest box they couldn’t access part of the day.

View attachment 3506616
Ini mini

View attachment 3506617
6 pm the chicks were all tucked in.

Today I was working all day. When I returned home the chicks were tucked in like in the photo above. The wet chick pellets (mash) was finished completely. I filled two small bowls (upstairs). to fill any empty crops if needed and one bowl downstairs for tomorrow early morning too.

One chick got curious and came out of bed. Walked down to see what was going on downstairs, but went back up again after a few moments. (No mealworms or scratch 🤣)
Seems like your two mother hens are running a very orderly household!
The pictures are beyond cute.
:love

Crush the pellets and make a mash with a little warm water.
Yes, I make mash, only with cold water. From day one. The adult chickens like this mash too.
IMG_1524.jpeg

This is an older photo where you see the little bowls I use for the chick mash. The one on the right has mash in it. I think the left bowl is just refilled. I takes a while to turn into a mash (15 minutes?).

Back
Top Bottom