BDutch's bantam flock & natural breeding projects #5 🪺 🪺 and #6

I got the creeps yesterday because
the cat of a neighbour came out of the run while the 3 non broodies were free ranging. She had a little bird in her mouth. When I wanted to look closer she disappeared through the fence to another neighbour.

To keep the chicks safe I do need to close one of the gates to keep this cat out. Im thinking about the best solution now to keep them safe if the three free rangers are outside in the garden.

Yes!
Today hatched 2 bantam Vorwerk chicks !
3E724036-E1AF-4714-AD88-3C780E4D8231.jpeg

This morning I worked at home and the 3 non broodies went out to free range. When I wanted to lure them inside the run this afternoon the situation I found was quite strange.
The hens were already inside and acted excited. Ini mini was walking up and down the footboard/plank and very talkative.
When I looked inside with the broodies I saw a tiny chick under Pearls wing. 🐣

When I came back from the office at 6. There where 2 curious humpie dumpie chicks saying hello to the landlady . Both Vorwerk. ❤️❤️

Yes!
View attachment 3492665

This morning I worked at home and the 3 non broodies went out to free range. When I wanted to lure them inside the run this afternoon the situation I found was quite strange.
The hens were already inside and acted excited. Ini mini was walking up and down the footboard/plank and very talkative.

When I came back from the office at 6. There where 2 curious humpie dumpie chicks saying hello to the landlady . Both Vorwerk. ❤️❤️
😊!!!
Do you think Janice and Pearl will co-raise them, or do they separate once all the chicks hatch ?

Yes!
View attachment 3492665

Congratulations!!! They are so cute!

😊!!!
Do you think Janice and Pearl will co-raise them, or do they separate once all the chicks hatch ?
I had my Dutch raise chicks together before. They do a great job raising chicks together. I’m not sure about Janice yet. It is her first time she became mama. But sofar she’s doing great too.
I suppose the other nest with Black will hatch too tomorrow/this weekend and they will cooperate all three. I noticed they changed nest from time to time.

Only once it was a bit problematic when 2 broodies had a few days old chicks in one nest walking around. The chicks were going to a third broody, who had eggs that were not ready to hatch yet. The hen didn’t want any disturbance and pecked the chicks that came near. I moved the broody to another spot were she could hatch her eggs in peace.

Edited some typo.

Last edited:
Yes!
View attachment 3492665

Congratulations! What an exciting moment! They look very sweet peeking out like that 🥰

Today four more chicks hatched.
Until now I have 3 bantam Vorwerk (all 3).
2 Dutch (one Blue and one Silver) and 1 Sussex.

IMG_1454.jpeg

I put some food and water outside the nest-boxes. One cup with the large chick feed as it is. And also put the same chick pellets in 2 very small bowls and added water to make it soft.

When I came back this evening, the mama’s and chicks had finished the soft feed. After filling up the small bowls again with pellets and water, one mama and two chicks came from the nest to eat. Mama ate a little, then took a bite and dropped it outside the bowl on the cotton sheet in front of one chick. The chick immediately ate it. Then she did the same for the other chick and repeated it 2 times. So cute.❤ 🐥🐥.

Edited typo

Last edited:
My tiny, just hatched Dutch chick, is very curious and got out of the nest. This pic from one of the Vorwerks was taken before I made the cotton cloth in the ‘dining room’
IMG_1447.jpeg

IMG_1448.jpeg

The one with the eyeliner is one of the Blue Dutch that hatched.
She had difficulties returning to her mama’s because the cardboard was slippery. Now I made a cotton cloth over the cardboard with more grip. All chicks easily go up and down to/from the nest-boxes now.

The chicks walk from one nestbox/mama to the other. The chicks really have 3 mama’s and two nestboxes.

Edited with 2nd photo and adding names of 2 breeds that hatched.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom