BDutch's bantam flock & natural breeding projects #5 🪺 🪺 and #6

Pics
Nice, the cold and the strong wind have both gone.
The chickens enjoy to go out to free range again. Today two of them were even flying of joy.
IMG_3829.jpeg

I tried something new today. I made a hummus with chick pea and sesame paste (not new).
Because the blender was dirty after all I put fruit peels in it. Apple and pear peel with a few chickpeas and a little water.
Especially my black Dutch love it.
IMG_3830.jpeg

Katrientje (bantam RIR in front) had to wait. Ini mini tried but walked away.

Three chickens lay again!
IMG_3906.jpeg

From left to right:
  1. A big egg from the chickens of a 'neighbor',
  2. I received this first egg present yesterday. A muddy egg from Kraai (I think), It looks okay because I washed the mud off.
  3. Today I received a white egg from Janice
  4. and the light brown one is from Katrientje.
🥚🥚🥚😊

These 3 chickens are more than 2, 4 and probably almost 6 years old.

What strikes me is that they started to lay both this year and last year on or shortly after the first spring day (over 15 C). Last year it was very warm at the beginning of January and I was very surprised to have first eggs in the first week of January.

I wonder.. Would the rising temperature after the longest night have more influence than the length of the day in triggering to start laying? Or are the hours of bright sunlight more important. We had lots of rain and cloudy skies this winter compared to last year.

For me it’s definitely a no go to think that the hours of light is the only trigger.

…Do you think it’s a good question for a new topic?

A new breeding season, a new project!

Kraai is definitely broody. If I can get hold on some hatchery eggs its just in time to hatch a few chicks and take care for a good start before our holliday starts.
I contacted three breeders.
  • The first one has bantam speckled sussex but he wants to keep his eggs for his first hatch. I am welcome to buy some next month.
  • The second one has Dutch and bantam Leghorns (Italian type) but he hasn’t responded yet. Nice if I can buy 3-4 of each.
  • The third one offers Bantam Sumtaler hatchery eggs. I dont know her but these seems be an interesting breed as well. Waiting for a reply.

I made an appointment to pick up 6 bantam Sumtaler hatchery eggs at 17.00 h today.

Dwarf Sulmtaler were made by the German breeder H. J. Webers from Isernhagen around 1953. He took large Sulmtalers, dwarf Paduans, Dwarf Orpington, German dwarf chickens and German dwarf salmon chickens. He wanted to form a dwarf chicken breed that was as small and vital as possible and meets the requirements and housing conditions of modern sports breeders.

Character:

Dwarf Sulmtaler chickens are quiet and peaceful animals. They are curious, trusting, lively and fearless. They can easily be made very tame and are therefore also suitable for children. In addition, they like to scrape a lot and are not in the least interested in who or what is currently behind them. They can fly well and can also be accommodated quite well in a small space. Normally, they hardly tend to chuck.

"This breed is the delightful miniature edition of the Sulmtaler chicken, ...... . Due to their coarse country chicken shape, the small head and the distinctive feather dress, the trusting, lively animals are pretty, small appearances." (Our dwarf chicken breeds,

Walter Schwarz 1995)

Appearance:

The dwarf Sulmtaler chicken is a strong, rather rough country chicken with a deep, wide box shape, fine bone structure and hardly medium-high, flesh-coloured legs. The rather long back is horizontal, the rather short tail well spread and worn half-high. A special feature of this breed is the small head, which is pleasingly not so lush that it takes away the view of the chicken. In front of the hood there is a single comb with weakly notched spikes. For hens, it is a wrap comb. The earlobes are white and the eyes are coloured orange-red.

Colour strokes:

Gold-wheat-coloured

Blue-wheat-coloured

Silver-wheat-coloured

Weight:

Rooster about 1,200 g, hen 1,000 g

Laying capacity:

Egg weight:

About 160 eggs per year

40 g
Source: http://www.huehner-tv.de/zwerg-sulmtaler-3.html
In the Netherlands they give slightly other info: the hens wil be around 800 grams and lay about 150 eggs a year.
The Sulmtaler Krielen are originally a breed from Germany.

Sulmtaler Krielen are quiet hens who can take a beating.

The color of the Sulmtaler Krielen is wheat.

Sulmtalers Krielen lay about 150 eggs per year and the weight of the egg is about 35 grams and the color of the egg is cream color.

As a useful breed, the Sulmtaler belongs among the legrasses and sierrasen.

The Sulmtaler Krielen have a single comb and they have a Tintin.

The weight of the rooster is about 1000 grams and of the hens 800 grams.

The ring size is 13 mm for the rooster and 11 mm for the hen.
Source: https://www.kippenpagina.nl/kippenrassen/sulmtalerkrielen.html

Because I am restarting with a new project. I asked to change the old title :

Natural breeding project no5: started with Janice, Pearl and 11 hatching eggs 🪺 🪺

to something less specific.

BDutch bantam flock & natural breeding projects #5 🪺 🪺 and #6 🪺

Thought it might be nice to tell some people who followed this thread last year.
@ManueB, @BigBlueHen53 , @Ladies-Eight @fuzzi @MaryJanet @RoyalChick
@Sequel @NanaK @fluffycrow @Shadrach @Perris.
I hope all the others I missed to mention will understand that there are too many to recall.

My flock free ranging today.
IMG_4128.jpeg

Kraai being broody and sitting on 4 fake eggs.
IMG_4132.jpeg

Because I am restarting with a new project. I asked to change the old title :

Natural breeding project no5: started with Janice, Pearl and 11 hatching eggs 🪺 🪺

to something less specific.

BDutch bantam flock & natural breeding projects #5 🪺 🪺 and #6 🪺

Thought it might be nice to tell some people who followed this thread last year.
@ManueB, @BigBlueHen53 , @Ladies-Eight @fuzzi @MaryJanet @RoyalChick
@Sequel @NanaK @fluffycrow @Shadrach @Perris.
I hope all the others I missed to mention will understand that there are too many to recall.

My flock free ranging today.
View attachment 3765674

Kraai being broody and sitting on 4 fake eggs.
View attachment 3765680

Thanks for the update.

Back
Top Bottom