Beak Concern

SRC87

Chirping
Jul 31, 2017
This is my cute little silkie named Clementine. S/he will be 11 weeks at the end of this week. Since the day I brought this fluff home to the coop I noticed the insanely large beak. As Clementine grows the beak becomes more and more hooked and is now cracked at the tip. My husband wants to just take nail clippers and snip it but that worries me. She does have trouble eating certain things (like corn on the cob) but it's never fully worried me because she continues to grow. Should I leave the beak alone or take some sort of action?!

Attachments

• IMG_1159.JPG
    IMG_1159.JPG
    306 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1160.JPG
    IMG_1160.JPG
    505.4 KB · Views: 21
I keep a large stone or brick in my brooder for chicks and out in the run and coop I have large rocks and bricks..Chickens hone their beaks..
thank you! mine free range all day in our fenced in acre and have access to all the things in their little world to sharpen/clean their beaks and I thought it would break off on its own but it just keeps getting more and more flamingo like!!

Trim it. I use toenail clippers. You can trim it back to where it starts to get dark, the yellowish part can come off, then she will be able to align her beak better.
Thank you! I might just allow my husband to clip it then I can file it a little too...

I've never thought of that but it makes sense. My waterers are on pieces of cement from a sidewalk we tore up. The only ones who's beaks and nails I ever have to trim are the serial broodies.

thank you! mine free range all day in our fenced in acre and have access to all the things in their little world to sharpen/clean their beaks and I thought it would break off on its own but it just keeps getting more and more flamingo like!!

It may be too long for her to file it properly but once you trim it she may be able to maintain it on her own after that.

She has a scissor beak. This deformity shows up more in some breeds than others. I think it occurs more frequently in Ameraucanas and Silkies. don't let her play in the gene pool! It may get worse as she ages.

Thank you all for the help! A few weeks later & Clementine's beak is so much better, she has gained weight & is eating like the others! :woot

Attachments

• IMG_1281.JPG
    IMG_1281.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom