Beak Damage? Molting

ANiceKaren

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Frazier Park California
Hi everyone! My girl Dandelion is going through a molt.. she is on about 3 weeks. Not eating as much and seems to not feel well. More laying around and standing hunched. When I picked her up today I noticed this sore on her beak.. thoughts?! It looks like a blister of some sort..crack? Not sure it’s from a peck? Seems like something different? Can this happen during a molt? Any thoughts on how I can help her 🙏🏻🐓 She seems to shake too at times.. like a shiver? Worried this is more than a normal molt..

Attachments

• F02565FD-36B3-4686-A485-108FA27B8EFB.jpeg
    F02565FD-36B3-4686-A485-108FA27B8EFB.jpeg
    563.5 KB · Views: 93
  • D0CF5790-3A80-46F9-A6AB-B61BEF0EED1A.jpeg
    D0CF5790-3A80-46F9-A6AB-B61BEF0EED1A.jpeg
    522 KB · Views: 19
  • D4B108DD-B837-4235-A3C0-787D0BA7CEF4.jpeg
    D4B108DD-B837-4235-A3C0-787D0BA7CEF4.jpeg
    538.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 8C0CFEE5-DE7E-41C2-9F20-E89871F7B29C.jpeg
    8C0CFEE5-DE7E-41C2-9F20-E89871F7B29C.jpeg
    577.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 38D7C680-CCC9-4F6B-842C-0406C59D5F85.jpeg
    38D7C680-CCC9-4F6B-842C-0406C59D5F85.jpeg
    563.5 KB · Views: 20
Looks like a minor scrape (red circle) that will probably heal up o.k. on it's own. She may have scraped it on some wire fencing or a feeder. If you wish, you could paint the scab with a little Iodine.

The tip of her beak looks cracked (red line), it may mend on it's own, possible that the outer layer may peel off, hard to tell.
You can try mending it with super glue and a piece of tea bag if you wish (instructions in this LINK.)

I've found molting birds usually don't eat very well or they go off their feed. A sore beak is going to make that a bit more of a challenge. Try offering her some wet soupy feed, bits of scrambled egg or fish to entice her. Hydration is most important of course.
If she's really struggling, then direct dosing her with a poultry vitamin like Poultry Cell for a couple of days may also give her a boost.

1693453592120.png

Ok
Looks like a minor scrape (red circle) that will probably heal up o.k. on it's own. She may have scraped it on some wire fencing or a feeder. If you wish, you could paint the scab with a little Iodine.

The tip of her beak looks cracked (red line), it may mend on it's own, possible that the outer layer may peel off, hard to tell.
You can try mending it with super glue and a piece of tea bag if you wish (instructions in this LINK.)

I've found molting birds usually don't eat very well or they go off their feed. A sore beak is going to make that a bit more of a challenge. Try offering her some wet soupy feed, bits of scrambled egg or fish to entice her. Hydration is most important of course.
If she's really struggling, then direct dosing her with a poultry vitamin like Poultry Cell for a couple of days may also give her a boost.

View attachment 3624035
thank you so much! I didn’t even notice the crack in her beak! That makes me more concerned than the scrape! I wonder what happened to her! She seems to be still eating. She will eat eggs, yogurt and mushy food so I’ll keep that up! I did apply a little non-pain relief Neosporin to her scrape. I too will keep on eye on tip of beak. I’ll try that link! Thank you!

Ok

thank you so much! I didn’t even notice the crack in her beak! That makes me more concerned than the scrape! I wonder what happened to her! She seems to be still eating. She will eat eggs, yogurt and mushy food so I’ll keep that up! I did apply a little non-pain relief Neosporin to her scrape. I too will keep on eye on tip of beak. I’ll try that link! Thank you!
Sometimes they can crack or break their beaks in weird ways. Often its from trying to reach through fencing to grab a bug or piece of grass sticking up. Pecking at something hard or even getting into a scrap with another hen (yes, I've had 2 with damaged beaks after having a spat...:hmm).
These types of things usually heal o.k. it just takes a bit of time, and they will be sore for a few days.

Sometimes they can crack or break their beaks in weird ways. Often its from trying to reach through fencing to grab a bug or piece of grass sticking up. Pecking at something hard or even getting into a scrap with another hen (yes, I've had 2 with damaged beaks after having a spat...:hmm).
These types of things usually heal o.k. it just takes a bit of time, and they will be sore for a few days.
Thank you! Would you recommend trying to fix that crack or in your opinion does it look like it would heal? She is molting pretty bad and I hate to wrap her in towels and try to hold down to fix that! She is eating.. I saw her yesterday go for her treats and mushy chicken food. 🙏🏻🐓

Back
Top Bottom