CityGirlintheCountry

Green Eggs and Hamlet
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Middle TN
IMG_3570.jpg

IMG_3569.jpg

IMG_3574.jpg

He was fine this morning. When I got home from work his beak was mangled. What do I do? Do I have to cull him?
hit.gif

He's still acting fine (doing the deed with the girls and calling them over for food). He's pecking at the ground for food, but I don't know that he's actually getting any. Once he gets quiet for the night I can get a closer view.
What do I do?

Last edited:
I'm still new to the chicken owning thing, but one thing I do know... some people clip the day old chick's beak with nail clippers to prevent future egg eating. I have one that I bought with her beak that looks similar to yours. She's 10 months old and healthy and plump.
So, my guess is, he will be just fine
smile.png

I got some hens second-hand that had their beaks cauterized by the previous-previous owner... They are doing fine and eat quite well....their beaks look alot like that... I would let him give it a go.

I just got a bottle of penG (antibiotic) to take care of a bumblefoot problem in another chicken. Should I give him a dose too?

He's so sad looking...
sad.png

He'll survive. Looking at it, the quick is still somewhat intact, as long as it isn't too damaged, the beak should grow back. If not, he'll just look like he was debeaked and it will not fully regrow. He will still be able to eat and drink but he may need a deep food dish and fertility may be down due to him having a hard time grabbing onto the girls.

Is it possible that he was chased and ran head-on into something? I think he will be fine though.
Good luck.

YOur guy should be okay...
I wouldn't use any antibiotics because he doesn't have an infection.
I wouldn't use aspirin either only because it's like when you break your finger nail way down and how it bleeds...and how tender it is.

Rancher hicks is correct. Spurs and beaks are made of the same thing as our finger nails. so his beak should grow back.

I believe that his beak will grow back. It may not look as pretty as his original beak though. I say that because I had a similar situation. I had 2 roos that would fight, there was 1"X2" wire between their pens. I did not want them to be able to peck each other so I put 1/2"X 1/2" hardware cloth between the pens. One of the roos evidently got his beak stuck in the hardware cloth and ripped it off! It was hanging to the side by just a little flap of skin. I ended up clipping it off with cuticle scissors. I tried putting some neosporin on it, but it would not stay on. He ate and drank fine and his beak has grown back. It looks a little different now, this only happened a few months ago, maybe it will look a little better as time goes on. I hope so because it seems to be a little shorter than the bottom part, I hope so since he is such a handsome boy. He has not problems eating at all. Sorry for he graphic pic, the ones I took after I cleaned him up were blurry.

1196_img_6604.jpg

Hope your boy does fine

Lisa
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom