Beak issues with 13 month old hen, and swollen red wattle? what could be wrong?

momarie

Hatching
May 12, 2020
My adult hen (13months old ) has something wrong with her beak I think. She has swollen red bumps on the sides of her beak. She is also an ameracauana so she doesn't really have wattles... You can see in the picture that there is a gap between her upper beak and lower and doesn't close all the way. Wishing someone might know what our troubles are. She has lost so much weight but is still with us over a week since I noticed she was swollen. Trying to figure out what's wrong and if it could be a disease or a possible injury? I figured if it was a bee sting that the swelling would have gone down by now. It seems she can't close her beak all the way so I'm wondering if it's because she is so swollen. I looked inside her mouth and didnt see any bumps or lesions... just lots of caked up food. So I tried to clean it out as best as I could but she is still looking pretty much the same. I fed her yogurt and gave her a dilution of apple cider vinegar water but not sure what else to do? I just want to be sure this is not a disease. My other hens all seem fine... She also seems to have trouble getting food into her mouth when she pecks at it and seems to have trouble swallowing it as well.... she seems to be drinking water though and definitely walks around.... she does puff up like a sick chicken would though....thanks for any advice!
IMG_6382.JPG
IMG_6383.JPG
IMG_6381.JPG

I have no idea but is it possible she was stung by something she was trying to eat? Or an allergic reaction.
it's possible but I would imagine things would be better by now since it's been over a week. I just want to rule out a possible disease. I can't afford to take her to a vet either.

Back
Top Bottom