bbycarrot

Chirping
Jul 22, 2023
Northeast Texas
Hi there! I recently discovered one of our hens has a swollen wattle, or to be more specific the location in between her wattles. It wasn’t like this in the morning. She is acting normal and it doesn’t seem to impact her breathing. She’s not fiddling with it and it doesn’t feel like it’s full of fluid, just swollen tissue. My guess is she got bit or stung by a bug, but it’s not hot. Any help on identifying what caused this? And any remedies would be appreciated. We thought about giving her Benadryl, but I wanted to ask on here about if chickens can even have Benadryl and if so, what dosage.

Two pictures of it swollen and one is how she looks normally:
41D281FB-8AE7-4213-9BB2-9DFA625FCDA0.jpeg

B25240C8-9439-47E6-855B-27FDB758B7D9.jpeg

85F7609A-4FC4-4C18-B7CB-345D13C65FDF.jpeg

Looks like she could have been stung by a bee. Maybe some antibacterial cream might help the swelling go down. About the Benadryl - it can be benefictional for birds having an allergic reaction to something like food or a bee sting - you absolutely can give some to her - 2 - 4 mg by mouth and just keep an eye on her breathing making sure it doesn't swell up too much.

UPDATE: We took her to the vet and she got a clean bill of health. The vet said she likely either has a bad reaction to mosquitos or a cyst from an impacted follicle. We had the option to get a biopsy done, but she said to give it another couple weeks and maybe apply a warm compress to it once a day and watch for if she starts acting weird. We haven’t done the compress because it’s like 110° F every day, but I have already noticed the swelling going down slowly but surely. I will provide further updates if anything changes :)

Back
Top Bottom