Bears at the coop!!!

jwatts

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Just noticed that there were bears at my coop lastnight.. This "bear" had apparently killed the neighbors chickens now i think he or she's coming for mine.. The only thing i seen were paw prints on the outside walls about 6' tall and what seemed to be cub prints about 3-4' high. What can i do to get rid of these bears? I don't wantto shoot it and Game commision will do nothing, they told my neighbor" it will get shot during bear season.go figure

Quote:
X2

That's about it for non lethal approaches, unless you have several Great Pyrenees LGD's to deter them. You have to do something, because a bear will rip a coop apart for a meal.

As has been said several times before, the only thing that will deter a bear is an electric fence. We have bears here and I have followed the instructions published by various federal agencies for putting up a five strand fence with three hot wires and two ground. I do not use solar and my entire run and coop is surrounded by the fence. I have had bears visit, get zapped, and have not returned. Also, remove any food that you have in the coop and run at night. Most times they are after the food and just kill the birds as an afterthought.

Quote:
gig.gif

lead poisoning does the trick!

Back
Top Bottom