1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bears at the coop!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jwatts, Oct 22, 2011.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Just noticed that there were bears at my coop lastnight.. This "bear" had apparently killed the neighbors chickens now i think he or she's coming for mine.. The only thing i seen were paw prints on the outside walls about 6' tall and what seemed to be cub prints about 3-4' high. What can i do to get rid of these bears? I don't wantto shoot it and Game commision will do nothing, they told my neighbor" it will get shot during bear season.go figure

2. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    You could try night eyes or night guard,a solar light that cost about 20.00 dollars

3. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Electric Fence.

4. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Quote:X2

5. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2

That's about it for non lethal approaches, unless you have several Great Pyrenees LGD's to deter them. You have to do something, because a bear will rip a coop apart for a meal.

6. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    As has been said several times before, the only thing that will deter a bear is an electric fence. We have bears here and I have followed the instructions published by various federal agencies for putting up a five strand fence with three hot wires and two ground. I do not use solar and my entire run and coop is surrounded by the fence. I have had bears visit, get zapped, and have not returned. Also, remove any food that you have in the coop and run at night. Most times they are after the food and just kill the birds as an afterthought.

7. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    A lead pill. Placed gently behind the ear.

8. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Quote:[​IMG]

lead poisoning does the trick!

9. flitter

flitter Chillin' With My Peeps

We have lots of bears and electric strands around the regular fence have worked so far... fingers crossed!

10. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Get hounds to get them away from your chicken coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by