Bedding for coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Silkiehen, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Silkiehen

Silkiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2014
    I am almost done building the coop! It is a dirt floor and I don't want the deep litter idea! I was thinking about saw dust shavings or regular shavings. I will have around 20 chickens in there. It also has a run attached. Any ideas welcome!

2. missnatalie

missnatalie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    What about straw

3. cmonkey4

cmonkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Pacific, MO
    In my opinion, pine shavings are best. They are cheap, have little dust, and are very absorbent.

4. AngryRooster

AngryRooster Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2012
    California
    Pine shavings are great! Sand works too, though I wouldn't recommend it during the rain season.

5. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    It wont hurt if they eat a few? They will be ready to go into the coop in a few weeks!

6. cmonkey4

cmonkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Pacific, MO
    If they are over 2 weeks, they shouldn't eat the bedding.

7. soratos

soratos Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2013
    Murrieta, Ca
    Even my older girls eat the pine shaving a little bit. I haven't had a problem ever with impaction. My current 4 chicks have been on pine shavings since we brought them home.

8. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    Ok, Thank you!

9. EmeraldSkye

EmeraldSkye Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    San Jose, California
    Do you live near a rice-producing area of the country? I'm in California and am able to purchase rice hulls. I love it in the coop. I can sift out the poop using a regular cat littler scooper if I choose. In the covered part of the run I'm using pine shavings, and I put out a flake of hay in the uncovered part for them to scratch through and find the wheat seed heads. The hay also protects their feet from getting muddy if it rains.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by