beginner-incubator questions

danielle82

A Good Egg
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Tonasket Wa
I was going to have my Dh build me an incubator, but looks like he would rather pay to buy one rather than build one.
I am leaning towards the brinsea octagon 20 eco. It looks like if I don't get the automatic turner I just "tilt" the whole incubator to turn the eggs?
Is this a good incubator? the website has it listed at 100 dollars which is quite cheap...Is it poorly made? Any comments?

Alot of people seem to like those incubators. I think they look small with very little room for the chicks to move about once they are hatched. I have a hovabator and love it even though I suck at hatching (most of which have been shipped eggs) It has kept the temp and humidity this time without my interferce and is roomie. Well may not be this time seeing how I've been very discouraged and set some 30 eggs (13 shipped and the rest my own) I put 3 Light Brown Leghorn/black jersey mixes in as and experiment to see what I get. Good Luck with your decision.

I just bought a similar model from Brinsea. I have not yet used it, but it is EXTREMELY sturdy and well built. Very sturdy plastic and the unit is actually heavier than I expected for an incubator, especially since I am used to the many different styrofoam models on the market.

If you order the Octagon 20 ECO with an autoturn cradle, it will be about $150 for the total package direct from Brinsea. That is the same price range as the styrofoam Genesis 1588 with autoturner. With the Brinsea, of course, you give up some hatching/incubating space (it is designed to hold only 20-24 chicken eggs as opposed to the 40-50 eggs that the Genesis can hold), but you do gain a nice, sturdy unit with a full 2 year guarantee. Both the Octagon 20 and the Genesis 1588 are very popular models here on BYC.

Because of my irregular work and school schedule, I needed to order the autoturn cradle with my unit, but I have read plenty of BYC posts which state that it is no big deal to rotate the unit by hand a few times a day. Yes, you do rotate the whole unit rather than the individual eggs. For some people, this is an advantage because you do not need to open the incubator to turn the eggs.

You could always order the Octagon 20 ECO without the autoturner to see how it goes turning the unit manually and then maybe purchase the autoturn cradle at a later date when/if you need it or when you can budget it in.

Ispahan~ Thanks for the info!I think I will try it without the auto-turner, I don't work full time so I think it won't be trouble at all for me to turn the whole unit. I really would like to avoid the styrofoam if I can, as I am scared I will break it
hide.gif
great news you are reporting the brinsea is sturdier than expected
wink.png

msticer~ Good luck on your current hatch! I also plan on setting some of my own eggs as I have heard many people have trouble with the shipped eggs.

Back
Top Bottom