Egg Turner.

gabtrac

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2023
Pacific NorthWest.
Does anyone have a definitive answer - do eggs need to be turned a full 360* or is the rocker style egg turner that tilts them about 90* sufficient?
I am looking at a diy incubator, but like many others on this site, I'm perhaps overthinking it.
Which is the most productive/effective automatic turn method - rocker or roller? (no pun intended...)
Thanks!!!

Here's my thoughts:
My incubator that I have had some great hatch rates on turns them just a little bit every 2 or so hours. It doesn't do a full 360* angle for turning.

Last edited:
A mother hen really doesn't have a certain number of degree angles that she turns her eggs on but she does turn them - sometimes a bigger turn and sometimes just a little. There really isn't much of a science on what angles or how many degrees you have to turn your eggs as long as you turn them about every two hours.
But it is recommended that you turn them at a 43* to a 45* angle.

Starting at 10 o'clock turn to 2 o'clock, then at next turn, 2 o'clock back to 10 o'clock. Never 360 degrees. 😊 With a pencil you can mark the eggs.

Thanks!
I'm getting the impression that there's no need for a full 360' turn anywhere along the incubation period. I was concerned that "favouring" one side might be less than optimal. I have also seen big side up... thoughts?

Thanks!
I'm getting the impression that there's no need for a full 360' turn anywhere along the incubation period. I was concerned that "favouring" one side might be less than optimal. I have also seen big side up... thoughts?
Never go 360° as the embryos get into certain positions and 360 will confuse them. Basically you will rock them back and forth like a ship. Draw a line from the big end to the small end of the egg. The line in front of you is 12 o clock. Start the line to the left at 10 o'clock, at next turn, roll the egg to the right to 2 o'clock, next turn, back to the left to 10 o'clock and so on, back and forth. I like to turn every hour or 2, as long as you turn 3 or 4 times a day, they will be ok. Turning keeps the yolk loose and centered, it also gives the growing embryo a new food source after consuming everything around itself.

Back
Top Bottom