Beginners in knoxville

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We are new to chickens and have not gotten any yet. We are planning to build a coop soon and then get our birds from a farm in the local area.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
None yet. City ordinances allow 6 hens. No roosters unfortunately.

(3) What breeds do you have?
City has no breed restrictions, so we plan on getting 6 Brahma hens. No preference on colors for this first round.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Followed a link in an article about coop designs.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
We enjoy outdoors type things. Kayaking, hiking, and other fun (and somewhat introvert) type activities.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I am currently an elevator mechanic and my wife is a 5th grade teacher. We live in the city of Knoxville on a dead end. We have 3 very friendly cats and our neighbors have friendly dogs that visit us regularly.

From our research we like the Brahma breed because they are bigger than our mighty Hunter cats so we won't have to worry about them. They are reportedly very gentle and even friendly. They are supposed to be great in all temperatures. And they are awesome to look at. My wife wants to avoid anything so big as the giant brahmas that you can find on youtube (but I think that would be incredible to have), so we are hoping to get a more normal sized group of Brahma.

We plan to follow all the city ordinances with our chickens and being on a dead end, I do not anticipate unhappy neighbors. We plan to keep them contained full time but we want to give them a larger than normal fenced area to make their lives a little closer to free range.

We need some advice on coop designs for 6 of these large hens. I'm building it myself and I am pretty handy but I still need more than a blurry picture to know what to do. Any suggestions would be awesome.

We would love any insight or advice and would love to meet some other local keepers.

Thanks

Greetings @John and Tiffany :welcome
I am so happy you decided to join our forum! We are always excited to get more new members like yourselves! This is the perfect site for people like you who are just starting out with raising backyard chickens;). If you are looking for a good resource for coop building follow this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance.9/
If you would like to post pictures of your flock when you get some hens follow this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/pictures-stories-of-my-chickens.39/
Thank you for joining, and I hope to see you around the forums!
-Blue

Friendly cats, dogs and neighbors sounds like an ideal place to live. Brahmas are a lovely breed. I think those giant ones on you tube benefit from some clever under size pop doors etc. That way the bird looks so huge when trying to extricate himself from the small opening. Best not to believe all your hear or see

G’Day from down under John and Tiffany :frow Welcome!

My tip: steer clear of chicken wire which is OK for keeping chickens in but pretty much useless at keeping predators out.

You may be interested in downloading this free e-book My First Year With Chickens

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you want to, you can also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has a Learning Centre and Topic of the Week articles which I have found to be a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group. This one might be handy for you:
Topic of the Week - Getting Started, Keeping Chickens

As Blue has hinted, if you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Welcome from Knoxville area as well!
I'm old hat to chickens, slightly newer to ducks pigeons etc.. always learning is key. The local thread I found is pretty dormant as many are on middle Tennessee thread, but few of us still lurk n post (two fancy pants rich big city folk moved here n decided their methods were how to control everyone to do how they believed should be). I was big city boy parts of my life so I can make that joke. Message and say hey, it's always good to talk to locals interested in chickens etc.

Back
Top Bottom