Beginning stages of Prolapse? *pictures*

Cogburn85

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2017
California
Hi!
I recently adopted a modern game hen who is about 6 months old. She has laid two eggs since we got her. Yesterday I noticed the top part of her vent seems to be swollen and contracting. Nothing is coming out of her, it is just bigger on top. There was a tiny bit of blood on the most recent egg, which I assumed was somewhat normal for a tiny, young hen to have since she has just starting laying.
She is pooping and eating normally, but it must be bothering her somewhat since she is pulling out the feathers around the area.
I have read about prolapse, but I'm not quite sure if that's it? I sure hope not:(
We washed her and applied some Preparation H (seen in the photo)
Thanks for reading and any advice is much appreciated!

IMG_4645.PNG IMG_4647.PNG IMG_4648.PNG

Oh no. Sorry thjs went unanswered. How is she? I would start with a warm epaom salt soak if she is well enough for it. Is the vent and surrounding area red? It’s hard to see in the photo. I thi lnk the preparation H was a good idea. Have you checked her for lice snd mites?

Thanks for the response.. she actually looks much better today. The warm bath and preparation h seemed to help. I will definitely check and treat for mites and lice. She's new to the flock so I hope she didn't bring any bug friends with her:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Put sugar on the prolapse. It helps to shrink it and it will be easier to place back inside. Also warm baths (as you did) with Epsom salts should help. Keep it clean and perhaps keep her in a darkened room to prevent her from laying until the prolapse is over, unless she is egg bound. You should try to get the egg out, if that’s what it is.

Back
Top Bottom