Behaviorally challenged cockerel

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MilesFluffybutt, Jul 30, 2017.

1. MilesFluffybutt

MilesFluffybutt Songster

Nov 16, 2016
    Vermont
    So I have one of my cockerels (13 weeks old) in time out for being a real d-bag - feather pulling and harassment. He's on day 2, and honestly, the flock has been so peaceful.

He's in a bachelor pad all by himself. I've blocked his line of sight to the other birds as best as I can, but I'm sure he catches glimpses and hears them.

To complicate the situation, I have five other cockerels (also 13 weeks old) and one adult rooster (1.5 years old), who is the boss. The other cockerels don't care about being in charge. Given the peace, though, I suspect they prefer the rooster as leader.

So I'm curious how do you handle bully birds?

**Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2017
    penny1960 likes this.
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Do you have any adult hens around to beat some manners into him?

MilesFluffybutt likes this.
  3. MilesFluffybutt

MilesFluffybutt Songster

Nov 16, 2016
    Vermont
    Regrettably, no, but I had thought that about adding some for that very reason.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    A few old battle axes really are worth their weight in gold when it comes to keeping teenage boys in line. One of the reasons why I'll always have at least one or two Barred Rocks in the flock. They are my enforcers.

5. MilesFluffybutt

MilesFluffybutt Songster

Nov 16, 2016
    Vermont
    My rooster does his best to break up fights, but he's often too late to the party and then gets mixed up on what bird is causing the problem.

I have Faverolles in the brooder (eight 5-week-olds, 4M/4F - though they were supposed to be hens. Thanks, Cackle!) and the older flock are Silkies. What breed would you recommend I get as an enforcer? I'm sure I could get battleaxes pretty easily.

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Production Reds, hatchery quality Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, and Wyandottes all tend to be pretty bossy. Faverolles are much too docile to take on the task of correcting young cockerels.

andreanar and MilesFluffybutt like this.
  7. MilesFluffybutt

MilesFluffybutt Songster

Nov 16, 2016
    Vermont
    Except Wyandottes, those are easy enough breeds to get my hands on. I'll put the call out. I'd like to get this group in line before I bring out the Faverolles. I am worried about my rooster to hen ration, though. So maybe I'll get a bunch of old battleaxes. Thanks, Junebuggena!

8. MrsKris

MrsKris Chirping

Apr 18, 2017
    Caswell County, NC
    My two white leghorns are the queens of my flock! I call them my ninja girls! They don't hesitate to buck back at my younger cockerels and send them running. They are young themselves, one showing signs of getting ready to start laying; She broke bad on my dominate silkie cockerel who is easily 3x her size when he was trying a little too hard to mate her! They are not bullies, but can definitely put the others in check need be.

9. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Favorelles and Silkies are very sweet, usually, and tend to be at the bottom of the social order in mixed flocks. Don't get production reds of any sort with them! They are way too aggressive for your meek Favorelles. I gave up on Favorelles because they were too nice, and didn't do well in my mixed flock, and that was without any reds. Mary

MilesFluffybutt and Chickassan like this.
  10. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Folly isn't kidding one little bit about being cautious with the faverolles. I've had to thin it out around here to keep mine that includes giving some cockrels the boot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: