Behaviorally challenged cockerel

That's pretty much the ratio here the male faverolles is the only fella and he's still having a hard time of it.He's still a wee fella just started crowing once everyone else was gone hoping he gets slightly bigger stones than he has now.

I'd be cautious about bringing in some old battle axe biddies. They would whip the cockerels into shape (maybe) but they will also harass the Favorelles. My inclination would be to get rid of the cockerels since OP already has a roo (unless I read her post wrong.) Cockerels can always be placed in a grow out pen to stew in their own hormones.

I did a lot of research when deciding to mix Faverolles in with the Silkies. In theory is sounded great - very docile breeds, likely to form their own little pacifist group or groups. That, and based on my own observations of my already rooster-heavy flock and and long before the addition of the three adoptees, it was going to work.

But nope.

The Universe decided to mess up my hens-to-roo ratio by throwing roosters at me. And then turn my favorite rooster into The Hulk on steroids. Who, by the way, has bitten me twice since he's been in time. He goes right for my hands when I'm changing out his water or his food. So at this point, I'm not sure the addition of battlesaxes will make a difference to him. Thoughts on that? I'm too soft to send him to The Farm, and I know I can't send him home with someone that would send him to freezer camp. Chicken keeping is not for softies.

Also, who the hell would eat Silkie? Seems like a lot of effort for what is surely a half-serving of meat.

I was a little worried about adding larger not-as-docile birds, like production anything, so I was thinking to see if I can track down some Silkies. Assuming you guys think that'd work.

I might have to build a third coop for the roosters. Or renovate the small a-frame coop and put the hens in there.

*head desk*

I'd be cautious about bringing in some old battle axe biddies. They would whip the cockerels into shape (maybe) but they will also harass the Favorelles. My inclination would be to get rid of the cockerels since OP already has a roo (unless I read her post wrong.) Cockerels can always be placed in a grow out pen to stew in their own hormones.

The faverolles are still in the brooder. And won't be out until the end of the month. If I were to get the BABs sooner rather than later to get the flock in line BEFORE introducing the faves, would it work?

I hate to say it but you're going to have to build a rooster pen. That's way to many boys to even hope to keep in line and they're just going to get more unmanageable with that many.Plus you've got four more faverolles boys on the way, oh boy I don't envy your position. Keep the best rooster out and pen the rest until you can find other arrangements.

The Universe decided to mess up my hens-to-roo ratio by throwing roosters at me. And then turn my favorite rooster into The Hulk on steroids. Who, by the way, has bitten me twice since he's been in time. He goes right for my hands when I'm changing out his water or his food. So at this point, I'm not sure the addition of battlesaxes will make a difference to him. Thoughts on that? I'm too soft to send him to The Farm, and I know I can't send him home with someone that would send him to freezer camp. Chicken keeping is not for softies.

Also, who the hell would eat Silkie? Seems like a lot of effort for what is surely a half-serving of meat.

I was a little worried about adding larger not-as-docile birds, like production anything, so I was thinking to see if I can track down some Silkies. Assuming you guys think that'd work.

I might have to build a third coop for the roosters. Or renovate the small a-frame coop and put the hens in there.

*head desk*
Which male has bitten you? Is it one of the young cockerels or your adult rooster? Do you plan on keeping all the males you have at the moment?

Since you have cockerels and one adult rooster, I assume you want to hatch at some point? What do you plan to do with the male chicks you hatch? At some point you can't keep them all and some will have to go whether it be to their own flock, or to someone's freezer if not your own. I do understand it isn't an easy thing to do - my first flock started out as pets. Over time my view has changed mostly because I started hatching my own chicks. The sad fact is there are not enough homes for the excess males. I have no intention of keeping and feeding all the extras, let alone listen to the constant crow fests. My extra cockerels go to the freezer and often the cull pullets do as well.

Regarding your male with an attitude, I know you don't want to send him to be someone's dinner. However you may find things around your chicken yard much more peaceful if he gets the boot. Chicken keeping should be enjoyable. He's taking away from the fun.

As for eating silkies, I know many local asian immigrants seek out silkie meat.

Lastly on the Faverolles, many of mine have been far from pushovers. Had one hen named Atilla that would even take on older adult roosters. So you will have to see how yours mature.

Back
Top Bottom