Bent toe!

GlitterKitty

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
As I was looking at my chick today I noticed he looked to be missing a toe! When I picked him up I saw it all bent underneath! How do I fix it and what caused it? I can get a picture up when I get home later. It will look blue but that is the color of all his toes anyways.

You can use a piece of popsicle stick to straighten it out then put vet wrap around that to hold it in place. In a few days it should straighten out. Good luck.

I have a four week old chick that hopped down from the brooder yesterday. When I picked him up I noticed one of his toes was a bit bent, not sure if it happened during the fall. I cut a small straw, the kind school cafeterias use, slipped it over the toe and placed the last two toes(including splinted toe) in a band-aid sandwich. I'll let you know if/and when it makes a difference. Good luck!

Okay so this is what it looks like:
44812_tia_018.jpg

You can't even see there is a toe in this picture:
44812_tia_021.jpg

S/he is about 1 1/2 wks old and is a bantam blue Cochin. The other toes are not normally curled but when I pick her up they curl.

It looks like the tendons may have snapped. Splinting may help.
I have a Warren who is now nearly 3 who has a toe at a very odd angle. She came to us this way as POL hen and has never been troubled in the slightest by it. As long as the end result functions OK and gives the bird no problem the cosmetic effect is of little importance (Unless you have a show bird),
Sandie

Thank you! She is not a show bird ad I don't care what she looks like, I just don't wanther to be in any pain. I'll try the splinting today.

I had a silkie hatch last week with a toe that was turned under. I cut a half inch square piece of cardboard (not corrugated), rounded the corners, put a piece of double-sided tape on one side, placed the chicks whole foot on it making sure the toe was spread out and not turned under, then put another piece of regular tape around it. Little thing wore his "magic shoes" for 3 days and it is completely fixed now. I did put down the rubbermaid shelving material on the bottom of the brooder to make sure he could walk ok.

Back
Top Bottom