Best antibiotic to prevent infection in wounds?

TattooQ27

Songster
Apr 10, 2009
Upstate NY - Albany area
My NH red hen has a hole about the size of a dime in diameter in her head/neck. I am pretty sure my rooster did it. We have her in a dog crate in the house now so she is safe and warm. I would like to start her on an antibiotic but I am not sure which one would be best. I would prefer something I can get at TSC and can give orally if possible. I was thinking about Tylan 50 or Duramycin. I am leaning towards the Tylan 50 but I found the dose would be 1/2 -1cc twice daily for 7-10 days and I am worried about the possibility of my hen aspirating the medication. Is that a real concern or will she be ok as long as I am careful? I know I can give the Tylan by injection but I won't have help and I don't think I would want to do it by myself.

Have you considered just using something topical?? With this kind of injury, I usually spray well with blukote (antiseptic) then load up the area with a good dollop of Neosporin. You could cover with gauze and vetwrap (not too tight obviously) changing and redressing daily.

When one of my hens was attacked by an eagle, I cleaned the wound with a sting free iodine, and then sprayed with Blu-kote. She recovered.

Back
Top Bottom