Best brown egg layer...

texaschickmama

Songster
12 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Poolville, TX
Okay, I need some opinions on the best brown egg layer. I want the most efficient, docile, beautiful bird there is. Basically, I want the DREAM CHICKEN. I want them for eggs so please give me your opinions. Thanks so much!! I already have eye candy to look at so I'm really only concerned with brown egg production.

That would most likely be the Golden Comet hybrid. I have none but a friend says they are docile and good layers. RIR's would be next but I can't vouch for how docile they are. You can check and go from there. I have Delawares which lay well and Cuckoo Marans which lay well also and do well in confinement. They have pretty much spent most of the winter inside and have been laying very good. Very dark eggs if you have the right hen. Also if your selling eggs you have to have some Americanas and Auracanas for colored eggs. Customers like them. Most chickens can be tamed. Do a little research and I bet you'll have a hard time choosing just one. You can keep golden comets for eggs and the rest just for fun.

All the best rancher

My vote is for the Golden Buff hybrid, AKA Golden Comets, Red Star.....lots of different names I have a few of them, and I think they're very pretty, they're not too large (around 4lbs) so they don't eat too much, they have wonderful little curious personalities, and they lay a large brown egg every day without missing a beat!

During the winter months, I just put some lighting out in their chicken run, and those little hens just keep on laying those wonderful eggs. I JUST LOVE 'EM!

Thanks!! I have an assortment of my own for colorful eggs. I have about 25 Ameracaunas and 8 really good quality Black Copper Marans so I will have a beautiful basket full of eggs. I'm also working on an olive egger line. I just wanted to purchase some chickens just for their brown egglaying capabilities.

Anyone know about New Hampshire Reds? Black sexlinks? Production reds? Brown Leghorns?

Last edited:
all I can give you an opinion on is what I own lol We have Buff Orpingtons and they lay us a gorgeous brown egg just about daily, they slacked off during the arctic freeze we had but we would still get a couple a week from them.

Buff orpingtons were our very first flock. Love, love, love those!! BUT, they aren't very efficient because my ladies were just HUGE!! They ate a lot! They are one of my favorite breeds though!

Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Marans, Welsummers, Black Jersey Giants.
Buff Orpingtons are at the TOP of the list, I'd go with the BO!!! They're so friendly lay alot and go broody quite offten!!!

My black sx-link lays the largest eggs than the leghorns, RIR, and golden comets. I had 4 production reds and sold them after they started attacking the leghorns' combs. Their eggs were not as big as the black sex-link's. Sometimes a double yolker from her, too
smile.png

I see that you live in Texas, so I recommend the Production Reds. They were bred to be heat tolerant and lay for me every day(with maybe one day a month off). They are not particularly friendly birds, but are also not aggressive and I've not had one go broody(which to me is a bonus!).

Back
Top Bottom