Best Bug spray/Repellent for plants- Any suggestions?

MonkeyZero

Songster
12 Years
Sep 14, 2007
Modesto Ca
So
Since spring is here(YAY!), roses are in bloom, my mandarin orange tree is fruiting(even though its tiny still), the mango tree is growing,and other flowers are in bloom. But along with that, there are BUGS!
Aphids are eating my roses and other flowers and plants(darn things must dieeeeee!). Along with that, ants are all over my orange tree eating at the flowering oranges.

I did spray the plants with warm soapy water, but these pests are presistant. I even did a small lady bug release, which didnt help very much...
SO now my last option is to get some bug spray or something. My dad also wants to take the spray route.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what bug spray/killer to use on these pests without harming my pets(chickens and dogs) and that wont kill the plants

Thanks a bunch
smile.png

My son, who is studying bio-chemistry, told me the other day that he is going to try making a bug spray from tomato plant leaves. I think he said he would use it to spray the aphids on either the roses or some trees.

Tomato plant leaves are toxic ( nightshade family ) so I don't know whether that would pose any problems for your pets, plus I imagine that you wouldn't want to spray it on veggies.

Marigolds are supposed to repel insects, too, so perhaps a tea made from marigolds would be an effective spray without being toxic???

Mint oil is supposed to repel ants but I have not found he commercial spray effective. Orange oil spray seems to work better.

I have always just used a mild solution of a hippie type dish soap (such as Seventh Generatiion) and water, sometimes with garlic, and sprayed it on the underside of the leaves. Truthfully, it's probably more effective at washing the bugs off the plant then actually killing or deterring them.

Good luck. Let us know if you find something effective. Also, try visiting our sister sites, theEasyGarden.com and SufficientSelf.com.

Back
Top Bottom