MetroMutt

Songster
Mar 9, 2021
NJ
Are there any chicken safe cat deterrents that are helpful to spray around yards? Our neighbors let their cats run around freely and I personally find that really unsavory along with I dont want them spreading disease to my chickens, I know that they will snoop around and piss in our yard and its just gross/neglectful on the owners part..

They dont help with mice either in our yard, though we took care of it ourselves with traps and seeking out any nests; they provide no benefit for us and only cause harm

One of the neighbors guilty of this arent the most stable and fed rat poison to mice at one point, if I didnt stop my girls from eating the dead mice my girls would have died; said neighbors also asked us if we had disease issues too as 2 of their chickens dropped dead.. they also had no general thoughts of their animals safety saying how "Oh yeah the hawks hang out in the trees above all the time" and not doing anything to prevent attacks and saying how they would just get more(and how they would get a rooster and more then our towns legal limit for hens, which would then make it harder with regulations for responsible chicken keepers)

Just in general I dont want to confront them as they will have really nasty fights with each other outdoors and im generally more blunt then I mean to be, I do not want to start a fight but their cats coming in our yard is not ok.

With deterrents for cats I dont even know where to begin with chicken safe options as generally we have not needed predator/pest repellants since our only predators are hawks and a fox that crosses by to get to the river(luckily has no interest in our girls) Would love links/advice!!

Also as far as cat stuff I dont want a debate or anything, I have my views on cats and you may have yours. I do not want to argue over it and will not change my mind. I am more then happy to have a civil conversation but im really just looking for help with this specific problem at this current moment.

I'm sure you don't want to hear this but there is no deterrent I know of to keep cats away. I see them on my game cameras here roaming at night. Maybe someone else will know. Good luck...

My chickens will group together and run the cat off, if it is in my yard and eating their food.
Of course, when we first got a large group of chickens, we had 1 that would just fly over the fence. One day I heard a terrible fuss and found the one hen on my neighbors car port with the neighbor's poor cat cornered. The cat was terrified.
So I guess sometimes it goes both ways. I had to trim the one hen's wing to keep her in my yard and stop stalking cats.
Sorry about your situation and that I wasn't any help.
Can you keep a rooster to keep the cats out of the chickens' territory?
Would those wireless dog fences work for a cat, (if your neighbor is willing to put the collar on the cats)?

Sounds like the poor cat isn't your problem, but the owner of said cat is..
Unfortunately yes :( I have nothing against cats if they are kept indoors/taken care of and its by no means their faults for the damage they do when let outside, they are only following their instincts. I fear what they may do to my property and animals if I send their cats to a shelter though.

I also haven't seen any signs of their chickens in a few months so I'm assuming they either got bored of them and gave them away(hopefully to a better home) or they were killed by their owners ignorance.

My chickens will group together and run the cat off, if it is in my yard and eating their food.
Of course, when we first got a large group of chickens, we had 1 that would just fly over the fence. One day I heard a terrible fuss and found the one hen on my neighbors car port with the neighbor's poor cat cornered. The cat was terrified.
So I guess sometimes it goes both ways. I had to trim the one hen's wing to keep her in my yard and stop stalking cats.
Sorry about your situation and that I wasn't any help.
Can you keep a rooster to keep the cats out of the chickens' territory?
Would those wireless dog fences work for a cat, (if your neighbor is willing to put the collar on the cats)?
Unfortunately our town doesn't allow roosters and I only have 4 girls that live outdoors, currently we dont let them freerange unsupervised and their run isnt as large as id like so we plan to be making a expansion when it warms up; With the expansion it would be a plastic mesh fencing and wood stakes so we can move for when we build a second coop likely(for quarantine or so I can put my special needs hen outside to enjoy some fresh air on nice days and the other girls cant attack her) I dont think it would do a good job keeping the cats out though

also I dont believe it would work, our neighbors are really aggressive and stubborn and would likely try to turn it into a "im the victim here your wrong!!!" type thing.

Also id like to keep the cats off our general property if we could since they cause damage and scare off the birds/rabbit that hang out in our garden

Tysm for the suggestions though I appreciate it alot!!

Back
Top Bottom