Unfortunately yes :( I have nothing against cats if they are kept indoors/taken care of and its by no means their faults for the damage they do when let outside, they are only following their instincts. I fear what they may do to my property and animals if I send their cats to a shelter though.

I also haven't seen any signs of their chickens in a few months so I'm assuming they either got bored of them and gave them away(hopefully to a better home) or they were killed by their owners ignorance.
Neither do I, but cat's are labeled as being a feral animal, so that's why people let them out to do or go wherever they want to.

My solution: A cat trap and trips to the humane society. You have the right to defend your flock.
What size of trap would you use, where would you place it, and what to use as bait? I'm in a similar situation, but with a stray that seems to have been recently dumped, so that might be more similar to the OP than for a feral cat.

What size of trap would you use, where would you place it, and what to use as bait? I'm in a similar situation, but with a stray that seems to have been recently dumped, so that might be more similar to the OP than for a feral cat.
You can use a cheap can of tuna or can of cat food. No cat can resist eating a great smelling fish dinner. I have had to trap cat's over here that decided to move in under my house to have kitten's.

A Havahart live trap works pretty well. I've had to catch dumped cats or ferals a few times when they messed with the chickens. Someone with a lot of experience doing it told me that salmon flavored wet cat food works best, so that's what I use. No idea if he's right. The traps have the types of animals that they catch listed on the side of the box when you buy them. Otherwise, you can look at the Havahart website on line and they'll tell you what size fits which species.

A Havahart live trap works pretty well. I've had to catch dumped cats or ferals a few times when they messed with the chickens. Someone with a lot of experience doing it told me that salmon flavored wet cat food works best, so that's what I use. No idea if he's right. The traps have the types of animals that they catch listed on the side of the box when you buy them. Otherwise, you can look at the Havahart website on line and they'll tell you what size fits which species.
Have you had good/bad luck with the county line brand that TSC has?

It probably is illegal, even feral, cruelty is cruelty.
I certainly don’t want to argue or anything but you can‘t judge all people who have outdoor cats by the same standards cats are animals who are meant to live outdoors and done correctly its a beautiful thing I have 6 garage/ outside cats who enjoy the outdoors all day and are locked in the garage at night we do live in the country so maybe it is a little different situation and it is very sad some people don’t take responsibility for their animals but don’t make us all out to be criminals

Back
Top Bottom