Best cost-efficient organic/non-crumble/non-pellet chicken feed?

We use scratch and peck Layer too- I love their line of products. I have just been feeding it dry. From what I read you can do either with that feed unless I read something wrong! But my girls are happy and healthy on it- 6 years now!
Personally, I never witnessed my birds picking through the feed, but I ferment it anyway as I don't trust I haven't missed something. With my ducks I never worry about it. They're to clumsy to pick through the feed, and I never worry about feeding it dry. I still soak it for them though as I find they waste way less when the feed is wetted down. Plus they eat less when the feed is soaked and expanded, there for better feed bill.
Its always recommended that whole grain feeds be fermented or at least soaked for 24 hours to completely prevent picking and choosing. What usually happens, is the lead birds eat their favorite grains, then the rest of the grains get eaten by the lower birds, and nobody gets balance.
As a raw feeder (dogs), I personally believe in balance overtime. Not every bite or every meal needs to be 100% balanced, but they do need to get the correct nutrition needed for each week in that week. But if they get perfect nutrition or excess (S&P fines made into a mash as a treat) at the beginning of the week, then dry feed for the rest of the week because I didn't have time to soak it, I don't worry about it. Or soaked and dry mixed through out the week.

But, as a rule of thumb, to prevent fatty liver disease, the feed should be fermented or soaked for the birds to prevent picking. Otherwise your risking health issues do to imbalance.
But, for the reasons able I don't worry too much about always soaking as long as I feel they're getting balance overtime.

Personally, I never witnessed my birds picking through the feed, but I ferment it anyway as I don't trust I haven't missed something. With my ducks I never worry about it. They're to clumsy to pick through the feed, and I never worry about feeding it dry. I still soak it for them though as I find they waste way less when the feed is wetted down. Plus they eat less when the feed is soaked and expanded, there for better feed bill.
Its always recommended that whole grain feeds be fermented or at least soaked for 24 hours to completely prevent picking and choosing. What usually happens, is the lead birds eat their favorite grains, then the rest of the grains get eaten by the lower birds, and nobody gets balance.
As a raw feeder (dogs), I personally believe in balance overtime. Not every bite or every meal needs to be 100% balanced, but they do need to get the correct nutrition needed for each week in that week. But if they get perfect nutrition or excess (S&P fines made into a mash as a treat) at the beginning of the week, then dry feed for the rest of the week because I didn't have time to soak it, I don't worry about it. Or soaked and dry mixed through out the week.

But, as a rule of thumb, to prevent fatty liver disease, the feed should be fermented or soaked for the birds to prevent picking. Otherwise your risking health issues do to imbalance.
But, for the reasons able I don't worry too much about always soaking as long as I feel they're getting balance overtime.
Great explaination!! Thank you. I do notice with both our chicks and big girls there is a decent amount of “powder” left that they ignore. I’m sure this does contain a good amount of vitamins and minerals. Good idea about soaking that as a treat I wouldn’t have thought of that 😁

Do you get it in the store or have to buy it off line and pick it up at the store? Also can Ducks eat it or is it strictly for Chickens. I know Ducks need niacin so it would not be their only feed. Thanks
I don't have ducks but I guess you could mix in a supplement? I now switched to Nature crest by Tucker Milling- It's $17 for a 50lb bag and it's non-gmo, soy-free. I used to order it online, and they dropped it off at my house.

On Chewy, Scratch and Peck sells for 60$ a bag. :eek: I never would have considered feeding it, but at my local feed store I get it for 32! Quite an impressive price reduction.
SOOOOOO, I have been using "deals" as I find them on Chewy to get Scratch and Peck . . . seeing this, I am thinking of trying to find the closest feed store that sells it!!!

New Country organics is better and cheaper than scratch and peck- in my opinion. I also love Nature crest, it's non-GMO and soy free. I get it for $15//50lbs,.
I’ve been using Nature’s Crest too.
But the layer is bare minimum protein. Went back to starter for them & they’re destroying a 50lb in no time flat & wasting a TON because it’s crumbles.
I wish they would up the protein content for layer so I could just use that.

I want the soy/gmo free but I can’t afford $40+/bag. I may have to just go back to another type.

Back
Top Bottom