Best dewormer for general use?

If those drugs had been tested for residue in poultry meat and eggs,
those products would be labeled for use in poultry.
I agree with you. BUT, they have been tested for poultry use. I'm certain that producers of these products arnt going to bear the expensive costs of residue testing for backyard flock owners. Birds in commercial operations arnt wormed, no residue testing needed.

I've found that in feed supply stores, the most readily available deworming product mentioned in this thread is Safeguard and Valbazen.
I see Wazine all over the place but, as it specific to only roundworms, it doesn't fit the profile.

Safeguard is always there, but quantity and form varies widely and so far I have only found Theison's to contain a bovine package of this dewormer in a large enough quantity to be used with a sizable flock of chickens.
Valbazen is sold in large bottles and is more expensive upon initial investment but, as mentioned in (I believe) page 2 of this thread, Valbazen is the best investment per capita.

I think it's important to remember that different countries have different drugs that are approved for use in food animals.

For example, in the UK, fenbendazole, flubendazole, and toltrazuril are approved for use in laying hens.

In Canada, piperazine is approved for use in laying hens.

In the US, piperazine is approved for use in turkeys and meat chickens, but not laying hens, and fenbendazole at very low dose is approved for laying hens.

IMO, if people are keeping chickens and want medication free eggs and worm free chickens they should be willing to invest in routine fecals. If you don't care about having a little wormer in your eggs, just de-worm and eat the eggs. :D

Indeed a good plan would be to deworm with a general dewormer every 6 months. But sometimes plans fall through and that is when problems can happen.

Back
Top Bottom