Best Diets For Buff Orphintons/Light Bramahs

MTRChickens

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2017
I currently feed the Nutrina Nature Wise Chick Starter feed. It's 40 pounds. About how long will that last? I keep feed in front of them at all times. I have four chicks currently. Also, are there better feed brands, treats, or others foods that would be good for them? I'm able to get Kabash brand. I got them March 3rd from Big R. I see mealworms, oyster shells, and feather Crumbles sold at the store but I'm not certain when to feed them that or not?

You don't need oyster shells until a little before they start laying, as they provide calcium for strong eggshells. Mealworms are a good treat, but they should not be fed as a food. Same with scratch. It's advised to feed a handful or so once a day of treats at most. You should be feeding you chicks chick grit if you feed them treats that are harder then hard boiled egg. Normal grit should be fed to them once they get bigger and move outside. If you give me a minute, I can show you a photo of a pamphlet that shows when to switch to grower and layer feed.

Last edited:
The image wasn't coming out right, but here are the recommendations for birds that you want to keep as layers.

Pullets: 1 day-6 weeks = Chick starter crumbles
7 weeks-5 months = Poultry grower/finisher
Layers: 5 months and up = Layer feed
Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom