Best duck breed for small homestead?

May 6, 2022
Hey BYC, I have two amazing ducks and would like to get a third. I have a small homestead so I am keeping into consideration ✅
1.noise (I want a quieter bird)
2.space(how much space does the bird require)
Some things I am not factoring in is🚫
1.egg production(I only have drakes)
2.bantams(my duck can hurt it)
3.meat(I don't plan on eating it)
If you have some recommendations for which duck breed is best for me I am all ears. Also what is your personal favorite breed?

My ducks are half cayuga and half mallard.

Attachments

• 20220814_170933.jpg
    20220814_170933.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220814_172213.jpg
    20220814_172213.jpg
    644 KB · Views: 13
  • image000000(5).jpg
    image000000(5).jpg
    722 KB · Views: 11
Agreed you should get another drake if you’re only adding one more.

All drakes will have the same quiet raspy quack your other 2 have so noise shouldn’t be an issue

If you’re looking for a smaller duck that doesn’t take up much space don’t go pekin, I have 2 and they’re huge! I have some welsh harlequins and love them! My drake is gorgeous and looks smaller than your 2 you already have
38E1A6F9-046D-4156-83C6-F07FCA677FD7.jpeg

He’s on the left

Also khaki campbells are great, they’re the same size as welshies.

Agreed with everyone, only get a drake. And this time of year, they are a dime a dozen. Honestly, go for something you like the look of. If you want a bit more colour, then the Silver-Phase Welsh Harlequin is a good choice. There are also lots of barnyard mixes that are gorgeous. Just look up pictures, look at the online ads, and find one that is to your liking.

Since yours are a small/medium breed to begin with, you can go for anything your heart desires, apart from the bantams since you don't want them.

Make sure to introduce them gradually, with a physical barrier between them (fencing) so they can see each other but not touch. Expect some kerfuffle when they do finally get together as they establish their pecking order.

Since you asked, my favourite breed is actually a different kind of duck not related to our other domestic ducks: Muscovy. But I wouldn't recommend one with your guys since a) they are a different species, and b) the drakes will outweigh yours 3:1! LOL

Hey BYC, I have two amazing ducks and would like to get a third. I have a small homestead so I am keeping into consideration ✅
If you have some recommendations for which duck breed is best for me I am all ears. Also what is your personal favorite breed?

We have muscovy. They don't quack. They are pretty cool ducks. We have 1 male and 4 females. We get eggs from them to eat but we do not eat our birds. We have them in a free range area sectioned of just for them. It's a small area compared to our ½ acreage property we live on. We downsized our male count(we started off with 4 males).

Attachments

• 20220915_130958.jpg
    20220915_130958.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 18

A good homestead breed in my opinion are the following: Saxony, Silver Appleyard and Buff ducks. They are all dual purpose breeds both for meat and egg laying. They also are all a threatened breed meaning there is less then 1,000 of them in the US. I raise all three of them and my favorite is the saxony. The saxony are my most friendly out of the three breeds and have a huge personality.

Back
Top Bottom