Best duck for pets?

If you want pets and insist to stick to poultry birds as pets (although there are much better choices) stick with bantams and particularly Seramas.

Live ducks alone, ducks are very social birds and they love to stick to their own.

If you object to this opinion just a simple question: Are you going to spend 24hr around the clock with your ducks? (God forbid 1 duck as some irresponsible folks suggest)

Or are you going to swim with your ducks in the pond?

If the answer is no, live ducks alone and do not impose your selfish motives and life style upon them.

P E R I O D

I've been wondering about the best kind of ducks to get too. I want a few (less than 6) but I want a pretty breed that won't fly away because I want to let them free range. Friendly would be nice, but staying in the yard and being pretty is more important to me.

Out of the duck breeds I have/had are Muscovey, Ancona, Indian Runner and Pekin. Pekins are by far my favorite for their wonderful, friendly personality. The look of a white duck in your yard is also a classic look to me. Good luck on your decision. Ducks are easy to love!

I love my Cayuga pair. They CAN fly, but they don't. Their feathers are that black, so black it's beetle green in the sunlight. Mine are REALLY quiet. I think I hear Thelma quack maybe once or twice a week - and it's a single, loud quack only if somebody has ticked her off. (It only takes the one quack for my dachshunds to get the heck away from her.)

Louie gabbles all the time, talking to me, telling me stories, and murmurring to Thelma, but the sounds are very very low, not distinct quacks at all.

Louie is friendlier than Thelma, but she's just being a Diva. Once I pick her up, she's calm and friendly.

Quote:
I agree - I hand raised two Mallards, and they were the sweetest, friendliest ducks in the world until they hit their first molt, and then, all of the sudden, they turned into these wild, skittish things. They used to sit in my lap and eat treats - now, they run and hide when people come into out yard.
sad.png

Honestly, there's NO breed of duck that makes a good "pet". They're fun to watch and they're beautiful, but they don't like to be held or messed with. They'd rather muck in the mud while all people remain at a comfortable distance.
smile.png

Quote:
I agree - I hand raised two Mallards, and they were the sweetest, friendliest ducks in the world until they hit their first molt, and then, all of the sudden, they turned into these wild, skittish things. They used to sit in my lap and eat treats - now, they run and hide when people come into out yard.
sad.png

Honestly, there's NO breed of duck that makes a good "pet". They're fun to watch and they're beautiful, but they don't like to be held or messed with. They'd rather muck in the mud while all people remain at a comfortable distance.
smile.png

Well, I think I will let her raise some RIR or silkies instead....but thank you for all the information! Annarie, I LOVE your hookbills!

Seriously though, I think I will get runners if and when I do get ducks. I still have to use my incubator....

Quote:
sad.png

smile.png

Sorry, but I beg to differ. Some stick to their people like velcro and DEMAND constant contact, others shun all human contact as much as possible, and then the majority fall somewhere in between these two extremes. For instance, there's a duck (rather famous by now!) that lives in Seattle with his duck buddies and chicken buddies, and his owner / "people" as Flapper calls her (all posts and blogs are written from Flapper's point of view
wink.png
) has posted many photos and videos of their interaction with each other and with her. Do a search for "Flapper Duck" on Facebook and go through some of his daily blogs -- many are accompanied by videos and pics that DEFINITELY refute the notion that all ducks prefer to be left alone and not have human contact.
smile.png

muscovies have my vote!!

46966_duckie_and_mom_16.jpg

he gives hugs!!

46966_duckie_and_mom_15.jpg

he loves his mommy
big_smile.png

46966_duckie_and_mom_09.jpg

sweet boy!

46966_duckie_and_mom_05.jpg

yesssssss i admit i love to show off his pictures but how could you not??? he's the sweetest little man ever!! he follows me all around the yard. begs to sit in my lap. hardly ever attacks me. he's my little man and i love him to pieces!

Back
Top Bottom