Best egg layer?!?

Hello!!

I’m wondering what the best egg layer breed is. We have cut our flock down a lot and the chickens we have are older, so we want to add young birds this spring!! I am looking for one that lays lots of eggs and is hardy!! Thank you for any advice!!!
This is the first year we have raised Rhode Island Reds and Americannas. Without artificial light or heat. they both laid throughout the winter. We keep track of a running 7 day average. During the winter the Rhode Island reds averaged 5.13 eggs a day, and their current output is 7 per day. During the winter the Americannas daily average lay was 3.25. It is currently 7.25 per day.

For the Rhode Island Reds, that works out to a total egg production for the last 6 months of 1035.6 eggs. Assuming the current current 7 egg daily production for the next 6 months, that would be another 1260 eggs. That gives a 360 day total of 2295.6 for 8 hens, or 286.95 eggs per hen. The number for the Americannas is 2130 annually, or 236.6 eggs per hen.

The Rhode Island Reds lay 26.7% more eggs than the Americannas.

Keep in mind that they generally do lay through their first winter, but the 2nd they will molt and you won't be getting anywhere near the same egg production. Just an unsolicited bit of advice.

Hello!!

I’m wondering what the best egg layer breed is. We have cut our flock down a lot and the chickens we have are older, so we want to add young birds this spring!! I am looking for one that lays lots of eggs and is hardy!! Thank you for any advice!!!
Hello!!

Hell Cali Farms
How cold does the weather get there? This group of chickens is especially great layers and very cold hardy:
Australorp - Great choice
Plymouth Rock
Rhode Island Red

Hello!!

My Buff Orpingtons have been laying really well. Even through winter they slacked off just a little. I've always had plenty of eggs with them. A dual purpose bird if you can get the wife to quit making them pets LOL.

This is the first year we have raised Rhode Island Reds and Americannas. Without artificial light or heat. they both laid throughout the winter. We keep track of a running 7 day average. During the winter the Rhode Island reds averaged 5.13 eggs a day, and their current output is 7 per day. During the winter the Americannas daily average lay was 3.25. It is currently 7.25 per day.

For the Rhode Island Reds, that works out to a total egg production for the last 6 months of 1035.6 eggs. Assuming the current current 7 egg daily production for the next 6 months, that would be another 1260 eggs. That gives a 360 day total of 2295.6 for 8 hens, or 286.95 eggs per hen. The number for the Americannas is 2130 annually, or 236.6 eggs per hen.

The Rhode Island Reds lay 26.7% more eggs than the Americannas.
Interesting findings. I’ve never calculated exactly how many my (many) different breeds lay, but will agree that my RIR laid well throughout seasons, but all 3 unfortunately didn’t make it past 3 years. My amarucanas rage from 3-6 years and I still get several green eggs a day, so I know they’re laying. My leghorns were probably the most consistent but the most skittish bird I’ve ever owned. Love my Marans for the beautiful color (5 eggs/week) layers.

White Leghorns
California Grey and Whites
Barred Rocks
White Rocks
RIR aka Production Reds
Sex Links

EEs lay a bit less but fun coloured eggs and keep laying for years. I have not kept True Whitings yet, but they are probably good layers. So far my Crested Cream Legbar Crosses are laying great as well.

I have had Sex Links and Production line birds, they lived just as long as birds that laid less eggs from non production breeds or lines here.

I have heard the same about the sex links but it defies logic, I mean if the parent breeds/lines of sex linked birds are not feared to be short lived… such as RIW, RIR, Barred Rocks, White Rocks, Leghorns… why are their cross. The same people that often preach hybrid vigour often deride Sex Links which are colour based hybrids.

So what is the real problem? Misconceptions?

A current study for big poultry layer flocks confirms they need more than industry standard is supplying currently in standard layer feed to be healthy… more protein, more quality fat, more vitamins… so can we really expect healthy birds that are underfed, fed the bare minimum for a profit? In addition industry standard is to cull those birds pretty young. Also the industry manipulates the molt and lighting to force egg production.

I feed my birds well, give them space, let them roam my yard and feed more whole everything and next to no corn. I think a quality diet is one big difference to why my birds are usually healthy. I don’t try to artificially force molt my birds or keep them laying when sunlight decreases with the season, I figure the break is natural for them, and Mother Nature knows best.

Just my thoughts on the whole anti sex link thing, it simply makes no sense to me.

I started keeping chickens 5 years ago, a friend talked my into getting Sex Links. They are friendly, calm, great layers. The first two years I got an egg a day summer and winter. I free range them part time, when I am able to be outside and watch them, otherwise I put them in a chicken tractor during the day so they can still get grass and bugs. BUT they have had health issues. I started with 4, second year another friend gave me three more, all 7 have died by age 3 or 4. It's not natural to expect a chicken to lay an egg a day 365 days a year, but that is what they are cross bred to do.
If you just want eggs and aren't looking for "pets with benefits" then sex links are the way to go. If your chickens are your "girls" then I would suggest another breed. I live in town, my limit is 8 girls/no roosters. I currently have Barred Rocks, Rhode Is Red mix, and 2 Turkens. Hopefully they will have a longer life. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Back
Top Bottom