Best Egg Laying Chickens?

iheartchicks00

In the Brooder
May 14, 2015
What do you consider to be the biggest egg layers, most egg layers, best tasting egg layers? Any infor on these would be great! Also, where would bantams stand it that line?

Thanks!

The best egg layers statistically are White Leghorns (for white eggs) and Black and Red Sex Links (for brown eggs). These are the birds typically used by laying houses as they are egg laying machines, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Under ideal conditions (good lighting and warm temperatures) White Leghorns are unmatched. A White Leghorn holds the laying record with 371 eggs in 365 days. However, in very cold winter temperatures, Black and Red Sex Links hold up better and will actually outlay White Leghorns under those conditions.
Black Sex Links tend to lay the largest eggs with double yolks not being uncommon. Other breeds that have a well deserved reputation for laying very large eggs are White Leghorns, Red Sex Links, and Black Minorcas.
Where egg yield is concerned bantams are generally poor layers. Even in those bantam breeds like RIR bantams that tend to lay at a good rate, their eggs are considerably smaller than their large fowl counterparts.

The best egg layers statistically are White Leghorns (for white eggs) and Black and Red Sex Links (for brown eggs). These are the birds typically used by laying houses as they are egg laying machines, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Under ideal conditions (good lighting and warm temperatures) White Leghorns are unmatched. A White Leghorn holds the laying record with 371 eggs in 365 days. However, in very cold winter temperatures, Black and Red Sex Links hold up better and will actually outlay White Leghorns under those conditions.
Black Sex Links tend to lay the largest eggs with double yolks not being uncommon. Other breeds that have a well deserved reputation for laying very large eggs are White Leghorns, Red Sex Links, and Black Minorcas.
Where egg yield is concerned bantams are generally poor layers. Even in those bantam breeds like RIR bantams that tend to lay at a good rate, their eggs are considerably smaller than their large fowl counterparts.

P.S. Nutritionally speaking there is no difference in chicken eggs no matter what the shell color is or the size of the egg, so the flavor of the eggs has more to do with what the bird has eaten and how fresh the eggs are than with the breed itself.

I have a few different breeds and my red sex links are machines even going into my oldest bird her third year. Jersey giants eggs are good but small. columbian wyodetts are about the same fairly small eggs compared to sex links. Finally salmon favorale not as good layers but around same size egg. But by far my fav to eat. They all get 3 to 4 days a week to roam mountian side and I feed three types of fodder plus I grow clover sunflowers and marigolds for them. Sex links has more water in their egg and once in skillet they all are pretty close in size. Crazy. Favorale taste the best

Back
Top Bottom