Buff Rock Chickens

EOD Daddy

Chirping
Sep 14, 2023
Has anyone ever had any of these birds? If so what is your thoughts on them. Where they broody? Good egg layers? If so what size eggs do they lay? Please let me know your experiences and where you purchased your birds at. Only a couple hatcheries offer these birds but I am always a little wary of what they say about their birds as far as broody, egg laying numbers and size and temperament. Yes I know each bird can be different but still would like to hear your experiences.. Would like to hear some feed back before I narrow down my list and purchase 10-15 of a breed.

Thank You

My Barred Rocks lay great, nice big light brown egg, they are smart and good foragers, curious and friendly, can be mean to more docile breeds but good with other similar breeds. I have had 4, my family member had a dozen over a period of years, none of ours went broody.

My Barred Rocks lay great, nice big light brown egg, they are smart and good foragers, curious and friendly, can be mean to more docile breeds but good with other similar breeds. I have had 4, my family member had a dozen over a period of years, none of ours went broody.
The Buffs are suppose to go broody Murray McMurray is one of the few hatcheries who offers them. I have owned lots of barred rocks. But have never seen a Buff was hoping someone on here had some knowledge. When I was healthy I normally kept 50 or so laying hens.

Buff, barred, Penciled, Partridge, white, etc. All the same breed. Plymouth Rocks are *typically* friendly to the point of nosey, lay light brown eggs and can be used as meat chickens. Cold tolerant, heat tolerant. Can be a wee bit flighty.

I have owned 100's of Barred Rocks. Never had any go broody. However the Buffs are suppose to be broody. I am wondering if that has been someone's else's experience. Also how well they lay and egg size. IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME THIER EXPERIENCE WITH BUFFS I WOULD BE GREATFUL.

Hi, my granny used to have Buff Plymouth Rocks and she said they were very good all around chickens. I, too, was recently looking into them and did notice that M. McM's are NPIP approved.. (not all their birds are) which I would consider a plus.

Back
Top Bottom