Best feed dish for feeding chicks fermented crumbles?

Finelyfound

Chirping
Jan 1, 2016
Blue Ridge Mountains Virginia
Just got my chicks today and they are doing great. They are loving their fermented crumbles. All I have at the moment is a metal trough for the food. The chicks are doing fine with the trough, but most are standing IN it to eat.
Is there something better I can use for day old chicks that they won't stand in? The consistency of the food is paste and they're packing it down from standing in it and I would assume pooping in it although I haven't noticed any visible poop in the feeder.
Thank you!
Jocelyn

You know those little plastic cups of icing you get in the tubes of brown and serve breakfast sweet rolls? I glue big metals washers onto the bottom for weight and use them to feed my chicks their FF.

I was using an ice cube tray, but they still wanted to stand on it and sometimes poop, and I had a half inch metal mesh screen over the top, and it worked until the feed got eaten part way down, then the chicks couldn't reach it.

The plastic icing cups are too small to perch on and eat at the same time, and they work great.

Back
Top Bottom