Best feeder for fermented grains?

ChickyHawk

Songster
Dec 23, 2018
What would be the best type/style feeder for 6 hens? They are 7 weeks old on Scratch & Peck Grower Grains. They were previously on like a pellet/mash style, which I just threw in a rubber pan. I like that the rubber pan is simple and cheap, but they seem to be really crowded, especially when one stands right in the middle. They are in a deep mulch run, so leaves get kicked around everywhere. I don't think the gravity type would allow the feed to flow correctly since its moist. I heard that a metal trough would rust like overnight. Are the plastic type with the little holes just for chicks? Sorry, I'm a total newbie - about the only thing I know about chickens that my neighbors don't is that you don't need a rooster to get eggs :)
Thank you for helping me. I'm really liking this site. Not a lot of people in my community have chickens. They are asking me 'how-to' questions - which of course I have no idea the answer. It is nice to get support on here.

IMG_20181115_161326266_LL.jpg

I made my 4' long fermented feeder trough out of 4" PVC pipe with end caps screwed on each end. I suspend a narrow pipe over the trough to keep the chickens out of it. I can adjust the height as needed with the chains.
It works well.

I currently have 7 chickens. I use 2 cat food bowls as they're small enough to discourage chickens walking in it, though I only offer fermented feed in the morning. Sit them on some bricks to elevate them over the run bedding.

Then after their fermented feed has been eaten, to they just peck around on grass/insects or do you have dry feed available too?

View attachment 1652385
I made my 4' long fermented feeder trough out of 4" PVC pipe with end caps screwed on each end. I suspend a narrow pipe over the trough to keep the chickens out of it. I can adjust the height as needed with the chains.
It works well.

That looks like something I could build. Thank you so much for the photo - it helps A LOT!
Did you drill small holes in the bottom to allow for any drainage?
Also, what did you use to cover your hardware cloth on the sides of your coop? Ours is similar but Im having problems with drafts. It has been windy here the past few days.

I just use a black rubber bowl purchased from Farm & Fleet. They are common in feed stores and the big ag supply store chains. It's about 8 inch in diameter, so they don't really get into it. I place it on top of some old timber cut-offs to elevate it. I provide dry feed in a hanging gravity feeder also though. If you are only offering fermented grain, it could work but you need to use high protein grains and ensure there's proper necessary vitamin and mineral levels. Also, if there's seeds in you mix or grains that stay hard, be sure to provide grit. I mixed my grit and oyster shell (calcium supplement) and keep it in an old tire laid on the ground in the run.

Last edited:
That looks like something I could build. Thank you so much for the photo - it helps A LOT!
Did you drill small holes in the bottom to allow for any drainage?
Also, what did you use to cover your hardware cloth on the sides of your coop? Ours is similar but Im having problems with drafts. It has been windy here the past few days.
No holes for drainage. I ferment in large plastic coffee cans for 3 days and drain before feeding. I keep the drained off water to start the next batch. I feed about 3x a day.
I stapled an old tarp to the outside of the run. The run is fully secure with the coops pop door left open all year for access to the run. They have spent about a month in there only going out into their pen for about 20 minutes a day.
Everyone is doing just fine.

Then after their fermented feed has been eaten, to they just peck around on grass/insects or do you have dry feed available too?

I have dry feed available all day. Morning is when they're hungriest so they polish off the fermented feed pretty easily, even if it's cold or wet, and then they just nibble on dry feed after that.

DobieLover's feeder is a good idea if you want to keep fermented feed out all day since it can hold more volume plus the shape of it keeps birds from standing in it and keeps them all spread out while eating too. I've seen people make similar ones using gutter parts as well.

I have dry feed available all day. Morning is when they're hungriest so they polish off the fermented feed pretty easily, even if it's cold or wet, and then they just nibble on dry feed after that.

DobieLover's feeder is a good idea if you want to keep fermented feed out all day since it can hold more volume plus the shape of it keeps birds from standing in it and keeps them all spread out while eating too. I've seen people make similar ones using gutter parts as well.
I considered using gutter parts as well but decided against it because they aren't as sturdy as the PVC, can have sharper edges and the contours would make cleaning it harder.

View attachment 1652385
It works well.
I love this. How easy is it to take the PVC pipe off to clean? I feed fermented feed, and I take my feeder into the kitchen to clean once per day.

Back
Top Bottom