Best flooring options?

Myrshine

Songster
May 30, 2020
USA
I’m looking for some options for flooring in all my coops. I had to tear out the previous flooring because of my flock having a disease. I have coops that are raised from the ground, so cement and dirt wouldn’t work. Any ideas or options would be big help!

As from the run area, what’s the best for litter? I previously used straw and wood shavings, but I didn’t like that. I was thinking sand, but I’d need options of the pros and cons of it. What’s your opinion about sand in the run and inside the coop?

Oh what a chore! Sorry you had to do all that...

What flooring did you use before? Mine is raised and we have a painted plywood floor over which I have pine shavings.

I don't use sand, so I can't comment about it. I use deep bedding (not deep litter, though it is evolving into that). I use pine shavings, wood chips, leaves, stuff I rake up from the woods, etc. It's free and in plentiful supply here.

What disease would warrant floor replacement and not total move to uninfected area?

I don't understand the question. If an area is infected, as in poultry sick soil, then the area is not fixed by replacing a floor in coop.

I have used BlackJack 57 a rubberized roof material over pine plank flooring with very good results. Two coats, completely seals the floor, water sits on top and does not penetrate. Also used this up the walls 12" and on the drop boards with good success. Dry time depends on temperatures and air flow, but usually drys within two days. You need warmish temperatures (above 40F I believe) to apply, mix thoroughly with drill and paint mixer attachment.

I also use deep bedding, pine shavings and some straw on the floors, changed it for the first time after a year. Very pleased with how it works.

Last edited:
What disease would warrant floor replacement and not total move to uninfected area?

I don't understand the question. If an area is infected, as in poultry sick soil, then the area is not fixed by replacing a floor in coop.
They had Fowl Cholera, Infectious Laryngotracheitis and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. It’s been 11 weeks since all birds were depopulated. I cannot move the coop as it is built into the ground. I had to remove the floor because when I was power washing, water got stuck underneath and to save the wood, I had to tear out the vinyl flooring. I hope this explains it better.

Oh what a chore! Sorry you had to do all that...

What flooring did you use before? Mine is raised and we have a painted plywood floor over which I have pine shavings.

I don't use sand, so I can't comment about it. I use deep bedding (not deep litter, though it is evolving into that). I use pine shavings, wood chips, leaves, stuff I rake up from the woods, etc. It's free and in plentiful supply here.
We had vinyl before. I like vinyl and I’ll use it again if recommended, but I just wanted to see what else was out there.

They had Fowl Cholera, Infectious Laryngotracheitis and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. It’s been 11 weeks since all birds were depopulated. I cannot move the coop as it is built into the ground. I had to remove the floor because when I was power washing, water got stuck underneath and to save the wood, I had to tear out the vinyl flooring. I hope this explains it better.
How did your flock get the diseases?

And we have a cut-to-fit pond liner under the sand in our coop. The whole interior was sprayed wit Thompson’s Water Seal too. Works like a charm.

I have used BlackJack 57 a rubberized roof material over pine plank flooring with very good results. Two coats, completely seals the floor, water sits on top and does not penetrate. Also used this up the walls 12" and on the drop boards with good success. Dry time depends on temperatures and air flow, but usually drys within two days. You need warmish temperatures (above 40F I believe) to apply, mix thoroughly with drill and paint mixer attachment.

I also use deep bedding, pine shavings and some straw on the floors, changed it for the first time after a year. Very pleased with how it works.
Is the BlackJack sticky or tacky when it is fully cured?

Is the BlackJack sticky or tacky when it is fully cured?

When fully cured it's dry to the touch and not tacky. It will still "stick" slightly to itself, i.e. I coated my nest box legs with it as well so the legs and floor tack a little bit but no difficulty in pulling them apart and they don't show any sign of damage from that.

Back
Top Bottom