Best guard goose breeds?

All I can say is my geese are wimps. When a red tail attacked my bantam hen the geese,ducks were all so terrified they had literally formed a fence up against the gate going into our back yard. Loud yes but to protect against a predator with teeth not so much. Someone is going to give up their life. It’s a miracle your 8 week old goslings survived along with the rest of the ducks that weren’t killed. I agree a LSGD would be best and good sturdy fencing.
Lol maybe its genetics from the flock I got them from or maybe somehow I just wound up raising two little badasses. Either way I do love the geese (honestly more than I thought I would) and would love to add more, so I just figure that if I am adding some then I may as well add some that have a "natural propensity to be a badass." Lol. In doing my research, I found that the majority of the aforementioned "industrial security geese" were Chinese, specifically White Chinese... which would be fine except that in addition to that, everything in my research also says they are the loudest on a quiet day. I think they are the most beautiful, I just dont know how well my neighbors would like me if they were being boisterous at all times. Im leaning towards Saddleback Pomeranians which allegedly have protective and territorial attitudes in a quieter package but they are VERY hard to find. I know laying season is over but Im thinking about pre-ordering for next year. Not ruling out Chinese though. Do white vs brown Chinese have any differences other than color?

We also have some added security concerns regarding a home business I will be setting up so thats also a factor im trying to plan for.

I understand now what you are talking about when you say "guard geese". Both the white and gray Chinese geese I have known were loud and persistent honkers! If you fear disturbing the neighbors, they are not the geese to get, even though they would probably make the best watch geese.

Last edited:
All I can say is my geese are wimps. When a red tail attacked my bantam hen the geese,ducks were all so terrified they had literally formed a fence up against the gate going into our back yard. Loud yes but to protect against a predator with teeth not so much. Someone is going to give up their life. It’s a miracle your 8 week old goslings survived along with the rest of the ducks that weren’t killed. I agree a LSGD would be best and good sturdy fencing.
The most interesting geese incident I have ever seen involving a predator bird happened one day with a small gaggle that had small goslings. They obviously thought there was a hawk or another predator bird up in a nearby tree, made a circle around the goslings, extended their wings to provide more coverage, lowered their heads, and made the strangest noise until the large bird flew off. Thinking back, I believe it actually turned out to be an egret up in the tree. I know egrets can eat ducklings, though, as do the Great Blue Herons, but I've only seen them grab them in the water.

The most interesting geese incident I have ever seen involving a predator bird happened one day with a small gaggle that had small goslings. They obviously thought there was a hawk or another predator bird up in a nearby tree, made a circle around the goslings, extended their wings to provide more coverage, lowered their heads, and made the strangest noise until the large bird flew off. Thinking back, I believe it actually turned out to be an egret up in the tree. I know egrets can eat ducklings, though, as do the Great Blue Herons, but I've only seen them grab them in the water.

Like I said, amazing! They truly are fascinating creatures haha Im definitely hooked! I can just see some predator eyeing the baby and then the geese do that and the predator is like "no. screw that." and goes off in search of something a little... easier.

Back
Top Bottom