Best indoor chicken breed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Pretty sure they lack conscious control over their ‘sphincters’ to run to the box. In fact, I think they lack sphincters, right?
I read somewhere that the trick is to recognize when a chicken is about to poop. Then get it over to the litter box immediately. Supposedly, they'll learn and go to the litter box by themself.

I've been watching and developing some sense of what to look for. It's sort of a stretch and shudder at the same time. Trouble is, by the time I realize what's going on the bird has already crapped. No way I could grab the bird and get it to the litter box in time.

Can I ask where yo got your sebright? I will have a yard and thus can let my chickens out but would like to keep it inside alot. Did you get it straight run?
I got both my sebrights out of the bantam bin at TSC where i got my first chicks last year. I ended up with 3 pullets and one roo.. ( one of the season employees raises chicks and has for like 15 years and wing sexed the 9 birds i know not accurate but i only brought homeonerooster who is from a henfeathered breed) timmy is affectionate once hisgirls are settled on the roost at night. He is an amazing protector. Farrah, the hen has always been aloofbut she is beautiful and shelooks you inthe eye and makes faces like ravens do

I want to echo what Poultrybonkers said. Bird lung is a very serious matter, owners of caged birds have to be aware of it. I can imagine chickens being just as bad.
I also ask people stop suggesting a budgie, they are just as social as chickens and do better in pairs unless you are willing to commit huge amounts of time to them. And once you start to look into their care you realize their needs can be quite complicated.

What is the best indoor chicken breed? I don't like silkies. I've had a buff polish as a house pet, and would consider getting a polish.
I'm looking for the following:
~Small
~doesn't need a ton of attention
~doesn't need another chicken companion
~doesn't lay many eggs
~visibly attractive and fun
~calm
~doesn't try to poop all over everything
~would be ok wearing a diaper
Leghorn, definitely a Leghorn
They're more medium then small and do lay quite a few eggs but everything else sounds like a perfect fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom