Best indoor chicken breed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why dont we compare dogs to their ancestors too shall we? Wolves spend their days wandering through the woods hunting in a pack. Something that modern dogs do not get to do. Wolves also dig dens to give birth in. Again something modern dogs are unable to do. I dont know what your trying to convince me here but it aint working 😂
Except that dogs spent thousands of years being domesticated and trained to live inside with people. Chickens haven’t. They’re still used to living outside and scratching/foraging and doing chickeny things.

What is the best indoor chicken breed?

I'm looking for the following:
~Small
~doesn't need a ton of attention
~doesn't need another chicken companion
~doesn't lay many eggs
~visibly attractive and fun
~calm
~doesn't try to poop all over everything
~would be ok wearing a diaper
Doesnt exist :)

Except that dogs spent thousands of years being domesticated and trained to live inside with people. Chickens haven’t. They’re still used to living outside and scratching/foraging and doing chickeny things.
Chickens have also been domesticated for thousands of years and they would be perfectly happy indoors as long as they still got to go outside.

Why dont we compare dogs to their ancestors too shall we? Wolves spend their days wandering through the woods hunting in a pack. Something that modern dogs do not get to do. Wolves also dig dens to give birth in. Again something modern dogs are unable to do. I dont know what your trying to convince me here but it aint working 😂
My happiest chickens that I have had yet are 11 young'uns that were raised by a broody all by herself.
Most of them, I have never even touched. These chicks are definitely quite like wild ones, they run and fly and if you try to pick one up (which I had to do last night, as it was sleeping in a tree) they sound like a wild animal.
I leave them be, and they are so healthy and happy looking.
P1240319.JPG
A domestic dog could not be happy like this, which to me means chickens are still less domestic then dogs.

My happiest chickens that I have had yet are 11 young'uns that were raised by a broody all by herself.
Most of them, I have never even touched. These chicks are definitely quite like wild ones, they run and fly and if you try to pick one up (which I had to do last night, as it was sleeping in a tree) they sound like a wild animal.
View attachment 3387197 A domestic dog could not be happy like this, which to me means chickens are still less domestic then dogs.
I never said they weren't happy outside without human interaction. I had some raised by broody hens but they are still very friendly.

Chickens have also been domesticated for thousands of years and they would be perfectly happy indoors as long as they still got to go outside.
They’ve been bred to live outside though. They still have their natural instincts. Dogs have had those bred out mostly or channeled into other things. And she specifically has said hers CANT go outside. She lives in a townhouse. So for her they would NOT be happy.

View attachment 3387197 A domestic dog could not be happy like this, which to me means chickens are still less domestic then dogs.
Exactly! Chickens are a lot more wild than dogs.

They’ve been bred to live outside though. They still have their natural instincts. Dogs have had those bred out mostly or channeled into other things. And she specifically has said hers CANT go outside. She lives in a townhouse. So for her they would NOT be happy.
Dogs still have natural instincts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom