Best Layer Feed Recommendations

I (and my girls) like Scratch and Peck Naturally Free Layer. It is available at my local feed store here in Northern CA, not sure about Southern CA.

We've tried Scratch and Peck Layer (delivered through Azure Standard) but for the last six months or so, have been on New Country Organics, which is available at our local feed store. I like the NCO because it's 17% protein, which is a bit above the generally recommended 16% minimum in layer. Lots of fines in both, was a problem getting them eaten until I started soaking/fermenting feed.

I don't use organic. Ferment my feed. I'm a stickler for age of feed. It doesn't matter what kind of feed you spend your money on if it's not fresh. A published poultry nutrition expert states that 6 weeks after mill date, the feed is on it's way to becoming rancid and useless as feed.

I have ordered the Scratch and Peck grower feed twice and when it arrived, the mill date was just one day earlier than the ship date, so the feed was less than a week old both times I received it. I've been very happy with it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom