Best material for the ground in duck pen? Is pea gravel okay?

No I havent but they walk mostly on grass. Poop on grass is not a problem if it's not your main route and they have enough space.
How many ducks are you getting? And which breed?
I’m getting 5 Khaki Campbells! Their pen will be 6x12ft. but they will also have a good size section of grassy yard (and empty garden beds) that I’m hoping to let them free range all day.

I’m getting 5 Khaki Campbells! Their pen will be 6x12ft. but they will also have a good size section of grassy yard (and empty garden beds) that I’m hoping to let them free range all day.
That's quite small for 5 ducks that size to keep clean. They have huge poops :) Maybe gravel is the best idea for that part. Make sure you make it easy for yourself to clean! I've Cayuga's I know how messy they are. 😄 ... They will definitely use the grass too.

That's quite small for 5 ducks that size to keep clean. They have huge poops :) Maybe gravel is the best idea for that part. Make sure you make it easy for yourself to clean! I've Cayuga's I know how messy they are. 😄 ... They will definitely use the grass too.
I know it is smaller than I would like but the cost of lumber is outrageous right now. I would definitely like to expand it in the future though! The good news is they won’t be locked up in their pen all the time, my goal is to free range during the day so it would just be when it gets dark to keep them safe. Also, they will be in their duck house (connected to the pen) overnight (so in a different area that is much easier to clean out).

I know it is smaller than I would like but the cost of lumber is outrageous right now. I would definitely like to expand it in the future though! The good news is they won’t be locked up in their pen all the time, my goal is to free range during the day so it would just be when it gets dark to keep them safe. Also, they will be in their duck house (connected to the pen) overnight (so in a different area that is much easier to clean out).
I've the same policy.. At night inside. during the day free ranging, within a contained area that is...I'm looking forward to see your ducks!

I’m getting 1-year old ducks in a few weeks and I’m trying to figure out the most efficient material to use for the ground in their pen. They currently have pea gravel in their pen where they are now and their owners spray it down often. I will probably put a layer of pea gravel down at the bottom to level out their pen area and help with drainage but I worry about bumble foot issues. So I may add a layer of pine shavings on top of the gravel and try out the deep litter method. But another big thing for me is to keep the smell down since I have neighbors.

I’d love for you to share your experiences and advice!
I was told to use Delaware river 3/8 pea gravel.

I’m getting 1-year old ducks in a few weeks and I’m trying to figure out the most efficient material to use for the ground in their pen. They currently have pea gravel in their pen where they are now and their owners spray it down often. I will probably put a layer of pea gravel down at the bottom to level out their pen area and help with drainage but I worry about bumble foot issues. So I may add a layer of pine shavings on top of the gravel and try out the deep litter method. But another big thing for me is to keep the smell down since I have neighbors.

I’d love for you to share your experiences and advice!
Delaware river 3/8 pea gravel, is the smoothest to use. I've walked on that and it didn't bother me at all. I'm getting ready to put that down cuz now my pen is a muddy mess especially when it rains it's horrible. Thier coop become a wet too. You could also use straw on top of it but I think a good layer of the stone 2-3 inches deep would be gine

Back
Top Bottom